twenty six ; 26

"You should let me love you,
Let me be the one to give you everything,
you want and need."

Let Me Love You — Mario

__________________________

I was driving down the street to my apartment when I receive his text.

> From: Hayden
my dad's getting worse. i don't think he'll make it.

Panic rose in me, and I immediately pull into an empty spot by the street and pick up my phone.

Without thinking twice, I hit the call button.

He answers in three rings. "Ariel."

Hearing his familiar voice after months sent a chill down my spine, and a wave of nostalgia washes over me.

No matter how much I liked Aiden, Hayden will still be my first love.

And you know what they say, you never forget your first love.

"Hayden." I reply, trying to control my emotions. "Are you okay?"

He lets out a breath. "I'm fine. It's my dad."

"What's wrong?"

"It's getting worse, Ariel. His medications aren't paying off anymore."

"Don't give up hope, Hayden." I tell him, firmly. "You're strong, and so is he."

My statement is followed by a few beats of silence. "It feels great to hear your voice after so long."

I swallow, closing my eyes and leaning my head back against the seat. "Yours too."

"How have you been?" He questions.

"I've been okay. I went back to New York for Christmas and New Years."

"Ah, New York. I miss it." He sighs, but it was a happy sigh. "I miss London too."

"Canada isn't treating you well?" I ask, glancing at my watch. I'd be running late to meet Aiden.

"Well... the country's fine. But it's pretty lonely. Between taking care of dad, university and work, there's barely been time for anything else."

"It's okay Hayden." I reassure him, trying my best to be comforting. "Everything will turn out to be okay."

"I hope you're right."

After a few more minutes of talking, Hayden hangs up and I drive to my apartment. Letting myself in, I make a dash to my bathroom before taking a quick shower and deciding on an outfit.

I decide on a pretty pink sleeveless sun dress, along with a white cardigan and white ballet flats.