chapter 3

No one POV:
It was a busy day at bondi, temperature peaking at 45 degrees. It had been 3 weeks since Marlow had began her traineeship. She loved every minute of it, the boys in blue helped her along the way. Showing her the ropes of their job that they now shared.

Marlow POV:
I sat in the rhino with Jesse, my dad warned me about him when he first came to the service, saying he's just another Bra Boy waiting for trouble. Jesse has really proved him wrong, now, Jesse and me are best friends. Along with Maxi we make a trio that's unstoppable. Even though our age gap is 6 years, I never minded, even though they did act over protective sometimes.

The rhino was really fun to patrol in, my black shorts and blue lifegaurd top over laying my navy lifeguard bikini made me proud to be where I am today. My blonde hair was down and flowing in the warm breeze, Jethro and I were the same person from behind! I had my sunnies on and bondi zinc dispersed and ready for my first board rescue.

The boys wouldn't let me do a rescue, mainly because they said I need to know and train the art of the board rescue. They warned that a rescue board isn't a surfboard and that it's very heavy. I knew what I was getting into, they needed to trust me.

'So Marts' Jesse began, that was his nickname for me, Maxi used it aswell 'How are you finding Bondi as a lifeguard? Gave your Dad any heart attacks?'

'Ha ha! Very funny Jess, no trouble for me, just living my life, bubble wrapped, you know those boys, you included mister, ought to let me into the water sooner or later!'

'Believe me Marts, were just afraid of a little girl going out to rescue a lot older people, you know how people are, they have survival instincts and panic. It even scares us from time to time. Not to mention, men, 99 percent of people on this beach are decent, other 1 percent are perverts, and you m'lady are a beautiful, youthful girl that they'd love to have.' Jesse looked into the distance, I looked out at the water as a radio signal came into the rhinos radio
'Bondi Central to Blue rhino, there's a little boy struggling in backpackers, maybe go for a paddle whoever you've got their'

'Copy that mate, I'll go for a -' Jesse began to speak before I cut in, this was a lightbulb moment for me, my chance, no backing down.

'Marlows going in!' I shout ripping off my shirt and shorts to reveal my bikini, I have eyes on the boy and I grab the ton weight of a rescue board, I hear my Dads voice boom over the radio.

'Young lady! No you are not, stay in the rhino!'
I reply,
'Dad it had to come sooner or later, trust me, just like you trusted Mom!' The last part slipped out of my lips, silence fell on the other end, no one had mentioned my Mom for a long time, it was a touchy subject.

Jesse looked up to me and smiled, with a hint on sympathy.

'Marls, go, do me proud' Dad voiced back

I ran, feeling each grain of sand fall between my toes, warm and inviting then a crash of the waves, cool breeze at my back. The little boy was being kept a float by a clubby, I reached out to the boy who was dressed in red boardies and blue goggles. Maybe 5 or 6 at most, he looked terrified.

'Hey mate! It's okay, you can come on my board and we'll go to your parents on the shore' I reassure him

The boys weren't kidding when they said the board was going to be hard to handle, it was a ton weight and was really , REALLY long for my 5'3 self.

I paddled with all my might through the rip, trying not to nose dive. As soon as we reached land my hair, copper from being in the water, was swung over my shoulder as drips of sea water shaped my body. The little boy was safe, I had saved him.

The boy looked to me, bewildered, his brown eyes deepening into mine. I asked him his name and age, where his parents are.

'I'm Jake and I'm five' he said holding up his five fingers 'Mommy is over there'
The boys mother was frantically scanning the waters for her son, the accent from the boy told me he was English.

'Hey miss? Is this your son?' I tapped her on the shoulder, her white sundress flowed gently as she turned to meet mine and her sons eyes. Gratefulness washed over her as she thanked me and as I explained to swim between the flags. I asked the boy had he swallowed any water, denying it I tipped off his mother saying if he feels sick go to hospital.

I waved them off. First rescue = done.

I grabbed the blue rescue board and jogged to the rhino. Jesse clapped and commended me on my flawless efforts.

'You were so quick, and really handled it with grace I may add' he said chuckling.

I reached for my clothes and towel to re cloth myself. I radioed the tower,

'Blue rhino to Bondi central , how was that mates?' I laughed

A series of Woots and claps replied to me, my dad then said,
'You did me proud, just like your Mom'

A single happy tear prickled my eye.

A/N: I know this story Is quite sad at times, this will be slightly different to your average story line.

Star and comment if you like this story/chapter.

Xo