chapter 18

Maxi POV:

We're all sitting on the leather couch in their home, consoling Marls and trying to reassure her.

'So hes alright?' She says between sobs
'Yes, we haven't heard back from anyone in the hospital but we'll go see him tomorrow after work during visiting hours' Kerrbox side hugs her tightly

'Hopefully by then we'll have a call from the hospital to tell us his outcome' Jesse smiles and looks at me worryingly

This was hard for us, sitting in Hops house trying to comfort his only child. Her knowing that if she loses both her parents she could face fostering. She was my little sister I never had. She was hysterically crying curled up in a ball, a single cream coloured lamp lit up the sad scene.

'For now, you can come to our apartment' I added as she sobbed 'we have a spare bed, it'll be like a long-term sleepover!'

'We have popcorn and sweets, Harrison lives next door and Whippet across the street!' Jesse smiles sheepishly trying to cheer her up.

'Thanks guys' she gulped and got up to pack her belongings. As we watched he shadow leave the room, I put my head in my hands.

'Well debrief tomorrow, for now, let's settle her into this new chapter that will end and is only temporary' Box nods and I regain my posture and look at the pictures on the wall.

Old ones of Hop, when he had really long hair and Emily at a diner, they looked young, almost our age. I smiled, the one by its side was a baby marlow picture, she was is her mothers arms and was around 2 I think. She had these cute blonde curls, big ice blue eyes and a toothless grin on her face.

'These pictures are really embarrassing' I turn to see Marley with a duffel bag slung over her shoulder.

'Let's go girly pop' Kerrbox ruffles her hair as we leave the house, Jesse turns off the lamp and locks the door behind us. It was eerily queit on the promenade. Salty air gushed into my nostrils, it was calming and was connecting to the elements.

'This is us here' Jesse points to a block of apartments, 'Yep, number 21' I smile one arm around Marley.

'We'll see you tomorrow Box' I wave and sheepishly smile at him.

'Take care of her' he sternly says back.

Turning to open our grey door to our living space, I walk in, Jess and Marls follow me. Marls looked drained, pale and black bags under her eyes that were puffy and red.

'Your room is to your right, and the bathroom is on the left in the corner' I pointed to the two rooms either side of our apartment 'if you need anything my room is upstairs on the left and Jesses is on the right past the office'

'I think I'm going to go to bed guys, I have work at 6am.' She forces a smile into her lips and rubs her eyes. 'Night, thanks for everything'

'No problem' I smile waving her off and Jesse brings her into a side hug.

'Wow, this is gonna be hard on her' I flop onto the counter.
'We can help though, keep everything as normal as possible' Jesse reassures me, I agree, that's a great plan .

Marlow POV:

5.23am

I look up at my ceiling, I'm not in my own room, my home, my life it feels like. Where did my happy family go? Where did playing on the beach till sun down, learning to surf on sunny days and eating ice cream with my neighbours kids.

Then we moved, mom died, homeschooled as I was always in therapy after the accident. Now I haves Dad fighting for his life and no girl to talk to.

I have work soon anyway, I'll just get up and shut off my alarm before it goes off. Getting up my feet touch the cold wooden floors, I change into my uniform for today and slip on black thongs.