chapter 31

Hoppo POV:

I'm about ready to kill the four young boys. Metaphorically of course, but I'm furious! The audacity of them, disrespecting not only their co-worker but a young girl who happens to be my daughter.

I've told basically every lifeguard on duty, to watch them closely. The main ring leaders I've heard were Maxi and Jesse. I have always known Bra Boys were not to be trusted. As for Maxi, I gave him a chance at 16, he has not only shoved it all in my face but not even apologised.

I'm about to shut off the beach for the day when, the four culprits start approaching me.

'Well, what do you want now?' I narrow my vision

'Look, Hop. We never meant to do what we did, we realise the situation, can I ask you, where is Marlow?' Maxi speaks up first

'She's out surfing with Jack' I answer bluntly locking the tower door.

'Okay thanks, sorry' Jesse mumbles heading down the stairs of the tower and to South Bondi where Mark is with Jack.

Jesse POV:

'Look, boys, be forward' I try to set the tone of apology

'Yes, say it straight, no dwindle' Jethro is fiddling with his long curls nervously

'What if she takes everything to heart, we have ruined her for the rest of her life?' Joel starts panicking, I feel bad but at the same time not.

Maxi is silent, I think he feels the most guilty for everything, it's breaking him.

We approach where Marl is looking at Jack very solemnly. Is she telling him too now?

Marlow POV:

'Look Jack, this, isn't working.' I start, his face drops 'It's totally not you, it's me, you deserve someone more. A pretty, skilled and intelligent girl. I'm sorry'

'Wait? Are you breaking up with me?' He takes my hand in his, his touch is soft handed 'I can change, I'll make this work'

'Please, don't change, your perfect! I'm not you see' the words sting my mouth, bitterly.

'Look, I have to go' Jack looks at the ground, heartbroken, I feel horrible but it's what's best for him.

I hear the four lifeguards I hate most behind me.

'Marls! Over here! We have something to tell you'

It was Jesse, Jethro, Maxi and Joel.

'What do you want?' I sneer back

'We're so, so sorry' Jesse begins rambling saying how he never meant any of it.

'You deserve the world, you are our best friend and your more than a person to us Marls. Girls are equal to boys' Maxi says shakily 'Please, do you accept our apology?'

I think for a minute.

'No' I narrow my eyes, I've been hurt too hard for this.

'What? No?' Jethro looks astonished at my answer

'No. You meant every word, don't lie, don't do it, it's not cool to lie to your EX best friend'

'We're not lying, we're so sorry' Joel pipes up pleading with me

'Anyway, thanks I guess!' I smirk to myself

'Thanks?' They all say in unison confused

'Thanks for making me realise boys can do much more than girls, I've broken up with Jack.' Their eyes widen in shock 'He deserves so much more'

Tears prickle my eyes, I love Jack, he shouldn't love me though.

'Marlow! You deserve him and he deserves you likewise' Maxi tries to plead with me

'No, it's not worth it, just, goodbye' I walk away in a huff, I'm not ready to trust them again.

I keep walking, the lifeguards are making their way up the beach after taking down the flags for pack up. It's calming hearing the waves lap eachother over, it gives me reassurance.

I meet my Dad standing waiting for me I suppose at the tower, he look sympathetic.

'How was surfing?' He asks faking a cheery voice
'We, aren't doing that anymore' I say and look at the ground in unison.

'Your not surfing? Or not doing Jack?'

'Jack. He deserves a better girl than the boys make out me to be'

'Marlow! You know that not true! You were getting on great for ages, don't throw it away'

'It's thrown, shoved and buried'

'Mar-'

'Dad, I'm only doing the lifeguard challenge tomorrow because mom would've liked me to, no other reason'

'Right. Let's go home and get some food, I'm starving.' My Dad takes my hand in his and walks me to the car where we drive home and try and forget about the past events.

On the way home I quiz my Dad.

'Dad?'
'Yeah Marl?'
'What's it like to be a boy lifeguard?'
'What kind of question is that?'
'Well, being a lifeguard where you don't have to watch for creepy men, sexist people and being in a job dominated by your opposite?'

'Suppose I never thought of it. Look, I know your ready to be a lifeguard. Every work place will have its down sides, but, you get through them. Mainly with friends and good mates. So, I'd make up with Jack. Text him?'

'Dad, it's fine. Leave us be. We need time to re-evaluate'

'Right so. I'd usually call Maxi or Jesse over right now to talk some sense into you, but, I can get Caroline?'

'Really? Please?' I lighten up, I need a good girl talk with Caroline right now, she's my one and only best friend because the rest ditched me.

'I'll text her right now!' Dad seems happy that I'm happy, good feeling.

'Great, thanks Dad, for everything' I smile at him to show my appreciation for him.

'I'm your Dad! It's what's Dads are for!'

'Do you think Mum would mind if I don't place well tomorrow?'

'Marls, now that truly is a silly question! Just do your best, that's all you can do!'

That's true. I'll just do my best. My best is good enough.

The best version of myself.

A/N: This is quite a short chapter but I felt like if I included too many topics in the one chapter it'd be overloading.

Thanks for reading!

Vote and Comment!

Xo