chapter 26

Marlow POV:

I am sitting in the rhino in my hot pink wetsuit, ready to go out on the jet ski with Chappo.

'So when will your Dad be here again?' Reidy asks putting on his sunnies and keeping an eye on the water.

'The nurse said, going good, he'll be out 4 days. I really hope he's here for the lifeguard challenge' I smile thinking of my Dad being back.

'I'm sure he will, Hop has done more years iron man training than Maxi has been alive. He's one tough lad!' Reidy gives me a chunk of hope, much appreciated on my behalf.

I hear my name being called from behind.

'Marlow! Ready for your first go on the JetSki?' Chappo approaches me in the rhino, I hop out and high five him smiling.

'You bet, Dad was lecturing me about safety, you'd swear the man was awoken from a coma for 10 minutes and was already worried!' I laugh as I watch Glick and Azza push the Jetski out onto the water.

'Well come on then!' Chappo is much taller than me so he puts one shoulder around me and bringing me over to the jet ski.

The sand was hot, almost unbearably hot, I do more hopping than walking over to the water edge, where I'm met with refreshing waves.

I suit up with my life jacket, they only had men's in the tower so it's being tied tighter with an old sweatband in my bag. DIY was never my fortê, but teaches them a lesson to get womens and smaller life jackets!

'Ready!' Chappo hops onto the main seat and I position myself on the mat at the back. My heart is pumping with excitement.

'Yo, Marl be careful with Chapp, look after him well for us!' Glick winks at me and helps push the ski into open water.

I giggle and give him a thumbs up before Chappo revs the engine and takes the waves head on. We are going practically vertical when we hit the 6ft swells, I'm having the time of my life, I was always someone who loved adventure and more risky activities.

Much to my Dads disappointment I guess!

'You alright back there Marl?' Chappo calls back still keeping an eye on the water,
'Never better!' Beaming a grin I am taking in my surroundings, the jet ski is just another level of fun.

Sadly I can't ride it properly till I'm 18, four more years, this is good enough for now though.

'Hey Marls! You see that swimmer in the rip?' Chap accelerated the jet ski across the swell over to the south ends rip.

'Yeah, here I'll help him on' I say through the loud crashing of the waves.

We come to a stop around backpackers rip, the man was old enough and looked very disoriented.

'Hey mate! I'll help you, just come here and stay on the mat!' I shout across to the man, clearly he understood nothing I just said, he kind of just looked at me bewildered.

Probably because a 14 year old who looks 10 is shouting at him in a different language.

I try to gesture the mat and then I did a swimming motion.

He kind of got what I was saying and swam over to the mat. I ask him in my best sign language has he swallowed water.

He shakes his head indicating a 'no'. I shrug it off and tell Chappo he just needs to be taken to shore.
Chappo nods and yet again revs the engine and takes off to shore.

Deano and Maxi are patrolling south end when we arrive on shore. I wave to them as I help the man off, he seems very tired , he must have been swimming for awhile.

'Here let me help you to shore' I get off the jet ski, I can't stand where I am so I thread water, the man however can walk perfectly.

'No! No help!' He shouts at me, I am taken aback, what the heck, I'm trying to help him.

'I promise you, I'm not going to hurt you, just bring you to safe ground' I say slowly to make him understand a bit better.

'Girls, not lifeguard! You too young!' He is now pretty angry, I finally reach the shore break. By the look on Deano and Maxis face they saw and heard everything.

I didn't mind, he was obviously having a bad day, nearly drowning, I didn't care really. It was just another thing lifeguards, especially girl lifeguards deal with.

'Oi! Mate, you cannot disrespect our lifeguards, or discriminate because of gender or age' Deano tells the man calmly but sternly.

'I need professional, professional lifeguard' the man throws his hands into the air as if to propose I wasn't the real deal, it actually made me laugh at his comments.

I look back a Chappo who is wide eyed and not happy or satisfied.

Deano is still bickering with the man when Maxi decides to radio the tower:

South Bondi to Central

Copy, go ahead

Man here, from India, calling Marls a couple names and not happy that she saved him along with Chap on the Jetski. We're just going to go ahead and kick him off the beach, can we get a good visual on him actually leaving the beach.

Yeah, no problem. Absolute disgust.

Copy, taking care of him now.

I was shocked. I've seen many sexist people on the beach in my time. Non have ever been caught and told so severely to go away off the beach.

I smile and let out a nervous shocked laugh, what the heck is life at the moment?

'You alright Marls?' Deano comes up to me as he finishes with the man and Maxi escorts him off the beach.

'Yeah I'm totally fine! Almost funny watching him get caught!' I laugh and turn back to where Chappo is patrolling on the ski.

'See you later!' I call back to Deano and he waves and smiles.

I start to swim out to Chappo who is non too happy with the man and his ungrateful side.

'How dare he! Your one of our best trainees and he acts as if your a rubber chicken, don't worry Marls, your more useful than some of the lifeguards on the team!' Chappo laughs and pats my back as I resume my position on the back mat of the ski.

Yet, imagine being free to save someone without feeling like they'll judge you for being too young?

Just another day on Bondi I suppose?

A/N: Sorry for the inconsistency in the updates, this is really just a fun hobby over lockdown.

Would you be laughing or angry if someone judged you for your age?

Star and Comment

Xo