chapter 43

Hoppo POV:

I am still feeling anxious about lastnight, the way she was so innocent asking about Emily. I think all the boys are quite on edge.

Maxis back, tower duties for the first week as I made it an order for him, he's way too eager to get back for someone who was attempted murdered against.

I'm back at work also, walking along the beach, Jesse is doing a rescue, Mark is in the rhino observing everything. That's South End, the rest of the beach seems to be going fine, it's a good day, tons of tourists, sun shining.

'Central to Hoppo'

My radio dings in my coat pocket, I take it out.

'Copy'
'Reports of a storm-like surge coming through, strong southern wind, heavy rain and possible thunder. May need to lock up early'

A storm? It's summer but we get the odd big swell of rain come knocking in.

'Yeah, fine with me. We'll play it by ear boys'
'Copy that Hop'

I look into the distance, surfers catching large swells and tourists sun bathing and taking pictures.

Mainly, a huge grey cloud cluster. It made this defeating thunder clap, I cringe at the sound, looking into the further cliffs, rain batters down.

This type of weather is bad news, when sun comes out is the literal calm before the storm. I have to make a decision.

So, it'll take 30 minutes to clear the waters of every single person.

I take out my radio and press the record button:

'Boys, the storm is definitely coming, soon also. Close the flags up north.'
'Copy'

Suddenly a hard wind bites the sand, sun bathers get up in horror and start packing up rapidly. Surfers are unfazed, apart from some nippers.

People start gushing off the beach, the main people in danger right now are surfers and swimmers.
The flags are down, people need to listen to the warnings.

'Hey boys? Can you just move off the beach, a storms coming through' I ask two men in the water swimming

Jesse rides the rhino down to loudspeaker the surfers to move off the rip.

'Surfers, sorry about this but the beach is now closed, please leave responsibly and safely, thank you' he radios over the rip, many surfers groan and grab their board to leave.

'Hey is that boy swimming or drowning?' I hear Marlow ask from the rhino beside me and pointed out to a boy, she's getting out of the rhino.

Marlow POV:

'Hey is that boy swimming or drowning?' I say to my Dad who is beside me, he looks out and narrows his vision. I hop out of my seat and look beside me, the rescue board is calling my name. I was swimming earlier with Whippet on his break while he was surfing, I had my swimsuit under neath my clothes.

'I'm going' I mutter, not asking for permission and being unforgiving.

'Marlow! No! I'll go in' he takes off his coat and prepares to take off his top, he's too late as I'm already in my swimsuit and grabbing the rescue board.

'No Dad, I just have to do this' I shout back as I run down the beach right to the shore break which is cool and salty. The boy no older than 9 was stuggling but not critical.

I reach him, as if my skill level came over me, I knew exactly what to do. The rain started battering my back, my hair is soaking from rainwater, a bitter wind batters my board. We fall off in the dangerous waves.

I quickly re-surface, I look to shore, all of the boys have been gathered because I can imagine Dad thinks I need backup.

My patient pops up, unharmed and looks at me frightened. I grab his small fragile hand book it to JJ board which is an arms length away is black waters.

The surge had really picked up, I could hardly see through the rain and wind.

'Hey buddy, lie facing your front for me, okay?' I smile and look over at the boy warmly. He follows orders and this becomes a textbook rescue.

Suddenly, it all hits me....

Marlow Emily Hopkins, your fourteen, your Dad runs the lifeguard towers on Bronte, Tama and Bondi.

Your bestfriends with Maxi and Jesse, you were caught up with a lifeguard Caroline who tricked you, used you and manipulated you.

You smashed your head off the rocks, you took a stupid route.

You have a boyfriend Jack.

Your a Bondi Lifeguard.

'That's it!' I exclaim, the little boy looks around a bit, I can imagine shocked at my erratic behaviour.

'I know! I remember!' I smile the brightest smile, I felt a weight lift form my shoulders.

Suddenly the rain didn't seem like rain, felt cooling and almost like a pat on the back. We ride a wave back to shore, everyone starts to rush over to us and ask us all kinds of questions.

I stay silent smiling to myself, Whippet has escorted the boy to his parents and done protocol.

'Marl? What you did was highly dangerous!' Maxi looks at me soaking like a wet rat, he is examining if I'm hurt.

'Marl! I'm going to kill you!' My Dad runs up and hugs me and starts rubbing my shoulders to warm me up.

'That was a perfect rescue' Beardy laughs, getting a glare from Dad.

'That's because, I remember how to do one!' I laugh and jump in the air with my hands in the air.

'What Marlow? Stop?' My Dad holds my two hands, everyone's looking at us, I smile and nod.

'My name is Marlow Emily Hopkins!' I shout and laugh, a smile plasters everyone face.

'Are you serious?' My Dad smile and picks me up and spins me around, the boys elate and start ruffling my wet soaking hair.

'Welcome home Marl' Maxi hugs me and I accept gladly, I smile, I can't actually stop smiling!

'I can't believe I forgot all of you knuckleheads!' I laugh, the rain starts battering down, no one is on the beach.

Usually we'd be inside, comfort of the tower, playing by the rules of life you know?

We were jumping and leaping, laughing and crying in the rain,  the thundering rain. I didn't care, and I really don't think anyone else did either.

My clothes a darker complexion drips flying off them as I'm spun around.

The last couple weeks have changed my life, forever, too many life lessons and many to come I'm sure.

A/N: We are reaching near the end of this book, I think maybe next chapter last chapter?

Should I do a sequel? Should I just do another book?

Thanks so much for so many reads, votes and your comments.

Xo