chapter 39

Jesse POV:

'We need to lay her down' I say, she is completely and utterly high as a kite.

'These cuts look real deep Hop' Deano starts examining Marlow being layed down on the sand, Whippet literally whipped out his phones flash light. There was still a paramedic left from taking Jack and Maxi to hospital. We call her over and she takes one look at Marlow and looks concerns.

'Hey sweetie can you open your eyes real wide for me?' She puts Marlows hair behind her head and shines a light into her eye.

'Yep, dilated. Severely high off drugs, I'm guessing non consented drug use was used in this instance'

'What's going to happen?' Hoppo says  looking really worried

'She'll be fine, it's more than the usual dose, she might get sick, feel dizzy and have some faint spells for the next week or so. Nothing fatal. Just unfortunate' she smiles offering support for the rest of us

'When will the whole, euphoria wear off?' Chappo asks as Marlow starts giggling and pulling silly faces.

'Tomorrow she'll be back to normal. Any weird happenings, concerning behaviour, health wise, come straight to the hospital'

'Yo, I think I want a dog? Dad can we get a dog?' Marlow speaks up, her eyes bloodshot and cuts slightly healed.

'What about the cuts and bruises?' Hoppo asks concerned also ignoring the very random question.

'I have examined her and she's not in any position that needs to be hospitalised' the woman begins speaking 'her cuts only need some antiseptic wash, but, what I am concerned for is the cut on her head. Could signal a head injury.'

'So, we should check it out in the hospital is what your saying' Kerrbox asks worriedly

'Yes, it would be wise' she smiles a weak smile as she knows it's not what we want to hear

'Okay, I'll bring her' Hoppo says getting up and helping Marlow up. She stumbles and wobbles her way up the beach, I hate seeing her like this because she's only 14 and has already basically gotten high.

'Hop, give us an update' Deano looks tearful and his voice is shaky.

As we watched the two get into the car and become smaller and smaller in the distance silence ensues the conversation.

No one is saying anything because we're all pretty sad.

'I should've saved them.' I mutter angered
'Jesse, you did every-' Jake puts a hand around my shoulder I decline and push it off.

'No. Does anyone realise, my best friend, my sister and a young lad have all been sent away to hospital because of various godam reasons. I should've been like that, I should be beat up. They only picked on Maxi out of us because he was from Bondi, he was a kook lifeguard. That should be me unconscious barely breathing.' I shout punch a hole in the sand bed out of frustration.

'Maxi, without you, neither Marlow or Jack would be alive. You came and raised the alarm.' Deano speaks up, I see the truth in what he's saying, but this is my beach.

'Guys, I don't think you get the fact that, this is my territory. I know Marourbra like the back of my hand. I know what I could've done, done to have all three people standing right here right now.'

'Let's just go home, crash at my place' Harrison fans my shoulder and leads me fondly off the beach. Each step I take I feel more and more guilt in my blood. I watched as they drowned, drugged and beat up my best friends.

'Night. Well debrief tomorrow' Kerrbox resumes his leader role and stops all conversations.

Watching every lifeguard walk off the beach, past all of the green whistle boxes, blood stained sand and many, many large footprints, an eerie feeling of guilt and regret crosses us.

A/N: I know this chapter is considerably short but I didn't want too many subjects in the one chapter.

Vote and Comment if you want to

Xo