chapter 19

Marlow POV:
I walked into the tower, everyone bit thier lip in their head and statues shut. I take a deep breath and decide to break the silence .

After the group hug I was slightly annoyed.

'Look, I'm fine' I say seriously and narrow my eyes at them. 'Seriously' I say taking my seat in the tower.

'We know but, we all are not doing great' Deano smiles at me warmly. It must be hard for everyone but I could handle this, it'll just take a minute to get used to. He's alright, he's probably sitting awake in the hospital right now enjoying a well deserved day off from work.

The phone rings, it's very early for a call I think to myself. Looking at everyone else, they feel the same.

Kerrbox picks it up, 'Hello Waverley Council Lifeguards, this is Rod' he says down the phone

I couldn't hear his conversations just what's he was saying

'Yes, great, so you'll be here to start in 10minutes? Great, I'll get one of the others to show you the ropes' he says back and hangs up.

'Hey Marls, I think you'll like our new lifeguard' He smiles at me, I would hope so! Wouldn't want to hate them now would I? Suddenly there's a knock at the door, Deano answers it. Keeping my eyes on the water closely, I hear a very feminine voice, I turn to see a brown haired woman, in lifeguard uniform already.

My eyes widen, we're getting another girl! I internally squeal and smile. First time I've felt happy since last night.

'Right, boys, this is our newest member. Caroline, shes from Perth and has been a lifeguard for many years.' Deano starts going through everyone's names and eventually comes to me 'This is Marlow, she is our little one of the service, only 14.' He winks at her.

'Finally! A girl!' I hop up and shake her hand. The boys smirk at eachother.

'Why hello Marlow, how have you dealt with all these men!' She smiles a really welcoming grin, I feel my heart skip. I already think she's amazing.

'Well, girls, your both down at south end today' I squeal and grab my bags and run to the rhino

Deano POV:

'Oh, Caroline, right now, you've probably seen on the news. Hoppo has been assaulted last night, that's Marls Dad, her mam died a couple years ago. Just be mindful' I say reminding us all of the terror we saw last night that still lingers.

'Don't worry, I have cousins her age' she says walking out the door to join Marlow who is really excited running to the rhino. I was really happy, for her mainly, she was excited to have a girl around here.

'Well that's a happy girl' Jethro pipes up
'Good to get her mind of things you know' Gonzo weakly smiles

Marlow POV:

'So I hear your a pro surfer!' I smile at Caroline, a real girl!
'Yup, 5th in the world, but who's counting?' She laughs 'but now, any siblings to annoy?'

'Nope, just me, and my well Dad' I smile thinking of happy time's with my Dad, he's worse for wear right now but he'll be back in no time! 'It's a bit lonely with no girl around, I've been homeschooled since my Mom died' Caroline had a knowing look in her

'So your 14? Young and free I guess, any boys?'

I smirk, thinking of Jack.

'Oh I see! Who is this boy?'
'His name is Jack, he's super cute, we hung out yesterday, he saved me the other day from drowning and harassment!' I say proudly

'How does a 14 year old have a boyfriend and I only have had one for a couple years and he was my first!'

We continue talking about the boys, homeschooling and surfing mainly. This day had really taken a great turn. I am just so happy right now.