chapter 42

Hoppo POV:

8.12pm

Today was a whirlwind, showing Marl around Bondi and most of all trying to tell her who Jack was.

Flashback:

'Well...Jacks your...' Kerrbox looks at me, as if to ask my permission.

'Boyfriend' I say looking at Marl, she goes bright red and looks at the ground.
'Wait I have a boyfriend?' She smiles and screeches in our ears high pitched.

'Unfortunately yes' I look at her thinking she might remember Jack.
'Really? Can I go see him?'
'Why would you do that now?'
'I might remember him?'

I hesitated for a second. Maybe I should say no? What if she remembers him  and it brings back her memory?

'I guess you can? Maybe tomorrow?' I meet halfway and she smiles and nod

'Well you never lost sight of boys Marl' Gonzo laughs and shakes his head.
'I really like Bondi' Mark says in a quiet noise
'Good, you'll be spending a lot of time here!'
'Well that's great, so can I ask, who's Maxi? Why are we having a party for him?'

'Eh...Maxi is your bestfriend Marl, he got in a bit of an altercation 2 days ago. Luckily he's pretty much better, so we're just having a friendly get together' I explain to her, sadly she doesn't know who Maxi is.

End of Flashback:

We're making our way down the promenade to The Bucket List. Marlows looking aliens at everything like a tourist, not a local. I gulp, I hate , hate, hate seeing her like this.

We arrive at the pub, it's packed inside and out. Men standing outside with cigarettes and drinks in the other hand. It's such a familiar sight to me, and so many locals.

We walk in and the cozy air hits us, I breath in the scent of chips and beer. The boys were all sitting around a table, there, sat Maxi with his bruised neck, Jesse had taken him home from Hospital.

'Hello boys' I say as I guide Marl over as she looks around at the table of men.
'Hey Hop, hey Marl' Harries smiles and pushes out two chairs for us, we accept and start talking with them.

'So how's life back at it Maxi?' I ask knowing he doesn't want to hear my endless thanks.
'You know, my neck hurts a bit and it hurts to breathe a tiny bit but that's normal when your after been intentionally drowned' he laughs and takes a swig from his drink generously.

'Well, you didn't look too great when we got there!' Gonzo pipes up and pats his shoulder.
'Yeah, I thought you were for sure dead man!' Whippet looks over to Maxi and Maxi goes red.

'Yeha, attempted murder is pretty cool you know?' Maxi makes the joke, usual Maxi, joker.

'So Marl, how have you been' Chappo looks to us
'I've been...well I don't know many of your names, I can't remember them all, actually I can't remember anything past waking up and you, I mean my Dad, hugging me' I look at my drink uncomfortable.

'Well, do you have any questions Marl?' Deano asks in happiness for her.
'A couple, but I don't want to bore you!'
'No! Shoot!'
'How did I lose my memory?'
'Well, we don't know, we were relying on you for that in information'
'Oh, sorry'
'Don't be! We're just happy to have you home, safe. Anymore?' Box cuts in

'Well, why was I lifeguard?'
'That's an odd one? Why do you ask?'
'Well number one, I'm a girl, secondly I'm 14'
'Well, girls can do our job and your always at our work anyway, so you kind of are and have always been one of us'

'Sounds like a big family' she smiles, this warms all of our hearts, I could tell by everyone's expressions.

'What was my favourite sport?'
'Surfing, you could rip a wave no problem'
'Really? I thought it'd be like, I don't know, soccer?'

How does she not even remember about surfing? That was her life.

'So what are you at tomorrow?' Chappo laughs and asks us politely

'We're I think, going to see Jack?' I roll my eyes playfully and side eye Marlow
'Oh so your actually letting her?' Jethro laughs and looks at me wide eyed.
'Anything to help her memory, right Marl?'

'Hey Dad, can you explain again, is this my friend?'

The boys snigger and look at me, I narrow my eyes and then look to Marlow.

'Yeah, well, a bit more than that sweetie'
'I just don't think I'm capable to have a boyfriend you know?'
'I wish that was true'

We continue ranting about the latest lifeguard gossip, swells and a bit of everything. We avoid topics of discussion like the race or the consequences.

'I have a question.' Marlow pipes up, we all look to her fondly as she really hadn't said much.
'You know the way I have you Dad'

'Yes,I do indeed'
'Well, if I have you then where's my Mother?'

A deadly silence droops the table, no one wants to speak up. I totally forgot that she'd be wondering about that.

'Well, Marlow, you mother was our best friend, love of my life. Awhile back she-' I start a poison of a sentence

I look around at the boys, eyes glued to me.

'She passed to a better world.' I finish the sentence, I look to Marlow, her eyes sunken and sad, expressionless.

'Oh, so I don't have a mother?' She sinks into her chair and stares blankly at her coke.

'No, Marl. She's just waiting for you where the grass is greener' Jesse tells her smiling weakly.

'Look, it's late we should go to bed Marl' I pretend to look at my bare wrist, she gladly hops up and waves to the boys who smile sympathetically at her.

Why didn't I explain to her before? How much more has she forgotten? Imagine how blank her thoughts are?

Your the worst Dad.

A/N: Thanks so much for 4K reads! Means so much!

Vote and Comment

Xo