chapter 28

Maxi POV:

'Get up Marl!' I shout into our spare bedroom at the sleeping girl 'Box will be here in about 20 minutes to collect your Dad!'  I've called her about 5 times already, me and Jess have to go to work for a 12am shift.

I take a glance at the shape the covers has made, she starting moving around until she locks eyes with me.

I think she doesn't realise for a second what is happening today until her eyes widen in realisation.

'Oh My God! Why didn't you wake me earlier!'

Marlow POV:

'Oh My God! Why didn't you wake me earlier!' I thunder at Maxi who's standing at the edge of my dark room.

I peel back the covers and sprint over the cold floors to my curtains, ripping them open, I squint as the lights blind my vision. I take a couple steps to my left where all my clothes are in a little cupboard.

'What to wear? What to wear? Hospital vibes? Your-Dad-just-got-out-of-a-coma vibes?' I scurry through the couple t-shirts and shorts I have fumbled into a drawer.

By now Maxi has left, well you know, they have jobs I'm just a trainee.

I decide on a plain white top with floral detailing around the neck paired with some light-wash denim shorts.

The usual Aussie footwear, thongs and a quick glance to my mirror to brush my long mop of hair on my head. As the brush runs through my hair I hop over to my bedside table where sits my phone.

I check the time,

11.16am

Dang it! 14 minutes to get breakfast and be completely ready for today.

I sit my phone back on it's table and race back to my mirror, I now have the decision of what to do to my hair. 'Leave it down? Up? Plaits?' I am second guessing every decision I make.

'Plaits it is, I begin with three strands on one half of my hair. Interlocking each strand perfectly and precisely.

I start to wander into my thoughts, I wonder when Dad will be back in the water? Will he be happy to be back or annoyed at his pile of work? What if something like this happens again? Will this be a never ending vicious circle?

Stop it Marlow!

I mentally slap myself and get on to the other side of my head of hair, the opposite side looks good enough to me.

You know Maxi and Jesse won't always be here, they'll move on, marry, have kids and you'll be left to fend for yourself!

Okay, stop that's enough Marl!

I blink myself back to reality, I guess a lot is riding on today, tonight, everything.

I tie a small bobbin at the end of the first plait and smile into the mirror to get the positivity back to me.

*knock knock*

I hear two thuds come from the main door to Maxi and Jesses apartment.

'Hey Marls! It's Box, you ready?' Box calls from the outside,

'Yep! Just grabbing my phone be there in a sec!'

I run over to my bedside table where my phone has been the past few minutes, I scoop it up and walk over to the door and open it. Box is standing their in his lifeguard uniform ready to hit the road to the hospital.

'Let's go!' I smile jumping out of the doors view, I lock it behind me and walk beside Kerrbox to the car.

'So, how are the boys?' I ask cheerfully
'The usual, Jethro causing some mishap, Harries working on his running for the challenge, the rest are just placing bets and getting competitive' he answers me smiling, he's also clearly happy to have Dad back.