chapter 34

7.30pm

Marlow POV:

The lifeguards and I have swapped our blue tops for neon rash vests. All of the boys got neon green rash vests but when they were handing them out mine was a bit too big.

'Hey Box? Is their any smaller?' I laugh, my height was not considered in the mix as it was all a one-size-fits-all basis.

'I think we can just leave you without one, we'll know it's you because your the only one without one on!' Dad pipes up before Box.

'Oh, okay thanks' I look around at everyone, some are stretching, others breathing heavily and some jogging on the spot trying to warm up.

I was just standing there, taking in all of the ego I was being presented with. All of these men had a chance to win, not me, I'm just hoping I'll finish.

'So Bamb, you ready?' Caroline says behind me, snapping me out fo my thoughts

'Maybe I shouldn't have competed, waited a couple years?' I say quietly, very scared of what is to come

'You'll do fine! Now get to the starting line!'

I nod and make my way with all the others to the starting point. The ground was cement and uneven, I didn't mind entirely but my nerves were piercing through my chest rapidly.

Heart, racing.

'You can go first Marl' I hear Dad speak to me among the muffle of my brains thoughts.

'Ah, yeah, okay' I nervously step forward, I look around at the boys, faces of competition and eagerness. I have a look around to my right, I can't see Caroline anywhere, she must've been running behind.

'Good Luck, you'll do us proud for sure!' Maxi pats my shoulders

'I hope so' I mumble back
'Well, I don't just think it, look up at the cliff' he pints at the cliff which is small in the distance, I see a figure, a figure I could recognise anywhere.

Jack! Had Jack come by accident? Is this some sort of coincidence?

'I invited, well we invited him to come, he wants to talk to you after the race' Maxi and Jesse are emerged from the babbling crowd and smiling at me.

'Guys, are you sure? He probably hates me' I frown thinking of how we left things the last time

'Marl, if he hated you then why is he waving right now?' Jesse laughs, my head bolts up and eyes widen. Jack was there, a little speck, but there waving at me.

A warm fuzzy feeling was like a heated blanket on my nerves, I felt calm and collected all of a sudden.
I start to wave back and as I do so I let out an involuntary giggle, at this point everyone was looking at me and I didn't even realise.

'Well blokes, that's young love for you' Kerrbox says over the loudspeaker, I swing my head around and go bright red. Everyone had been looking, staring, at me and Jacks waving session a second ago.

Such a little gesture, meant so much!

'So, everyone, get to your starting lines' Dad said seriously over the speaker to my right. Everyone started to shuffle, onlookers placing bets and cheering.

I keep my stance at the front tier, I was getting quite the handicap of time considering my efforts will have to be massive to place highly.

I have a 6 minute handicap, hopefully I can complete the run in that length, well that's the plan anyway. Really, truly, I'll just go with the flow.

'Thank you, everyone for coming out here today' My Dad starts talking to the crowd 'We have many new faces in the challenge as well as some old, we also have a special face, my daughter Marlow, to join us for the first time!'