chapter 20

Marlow POV:

This whole 'I'm so tough' thing is harder than I thought. Concealing emotions like it's 'no big deal' has fast become a living hell. All I want to do is cry, and sleep and cry some more.

I look out onto the ocean front, people having fun, I feel slightly annoyed. Everyone having fun while I'm here depressed and wanting to go home. To a home that I don't have at the moment.

6.30pm

It's pack up time, the lifeguards were pretty much mute and solemn towards me today. Poor Caroline tried her best to cheer me up. It's her first day here and she's thrown into my crisis, seems unfair.

Carrying in the last rescue board of the rhino, I tie back my hair a take a deep breath. I head a jingling if metal behind me, I turn to see Box dangling his keys and Deano following behind him.

'You ready Marls?' Box smiles weakly to me
'Yeah, I guess so' I gulp, trying to hold it all in

Walking down the Pavillion, another silent walk, facing my fears and frets I take my seat in Box's small Audi. I look at my feet the whole way to St.Vincents hospital, I didn't want to accidentally catch Deano or Box's eye in the mirror, I would definitely start crying then.

We pull up the a large white sterile building, Box pays for a ticket to park and we head in to find a space to park the car.

Eventually we find a space, I hop out of the car once we come to a complete stop. I sigh, not truly believing that this is happening .

The hospital was very clean, it had little to no imperfections. Bar the evil sense that people are dying, crying  and angrily sighing.

I look around at the waiting room we had just entered, people crying into hugs , some sitting expressionless (probably in shock) and some looking cheerful and delighted. It was a bipolar environment to be in and I felt in the middle of these people lives, like a side character in a movie.

'Yes, were here for Bruce Hopkins' Deano ask the woman at the main desk.

'Room 24 on your left' she smiled down at me and longed to a small sterile room with a window peaking into it.

I heard beeps and pumps before entering. I took a step in the doorway and immediately a step back out. I felt, mixed feelings about going in here.

'It's okay, he's just asleep' Box reassures me and I properly step in. I gulp at the sight of all these wires and tubes going into my once lively and bubbly Dad. He had a gauze in his mouth and a bandage around his nose and head.

Whoever dared attack him will pay

My feelings were mainly anger, who dare assault my Dad, who dare!

I take a step away from Box and Deanos grasp on my hands, I put one hand on the side of his bed. He looked peaceful and well rested.

But, then I'd look around at where he was, he was far from peaceful. I couldn't help myself but cry, sob, just let my feelings I had bottled up loose. I put my hand into my Dads palm and feel the cold. It ripples through my body like a jet ski on water. I shake myself, in shock I wipe my eyes.

'Dad please come back, come home, please, please' I mutter into his ear, hoping I'd see him respond. Nothing. Not even a twitch, I cringe at the sight, I walk back to Deano and Box. I just cry out all my tears into his Deano, he rubs my back gently.

'Let's go' I mutter under my breath, I just can't sit here and watch the scene of my Dad like this. Its distressing and I want to reverse time.

Deano and Box both know that I'm going to Caroline's tonight, not a better time this girls night would have been. We exited the glass doors of the hospital, my eyes puffy and red. We go over to the small Audi and sit into it silently.