chapter 23

Gonzo POV:

A wall of people started to shout and scream,

'Dorsal! It's right there! Those kids are going to die!' I raced as quick as I could through the bulk of crowds.

I watched it all unfold, from Jack being shoved off his board by the large shark. To Marlow rescuing him, she looked gaunt, he looked gaunt.

The sight I saw 200 metres from me was one I wish to forget. Jack, the boy I haven't known very long, sitting their faintly moving. Marlow however, was worse, she looked dead. I'm thinking she's dead, but her eyes are wide as possible.

I radio the tower, 'GET OUT THERE NOW! JET SKI HAS TO BE DEPLOYED! THE FIN IS CIRCLING THEM!' I look menacing I suppose but I mean well.

'Jesse and Deano are heading out right now'

The shark was edging closer and closer, then, without a blink gone, it takes a chunk off her board.

I could hardly look, this was some sort of nightmare. She was going to be eaten, her Dad will wake up, ask where she is and she's 10 foot deep in a grave yard.

Stop Troy, stop it!

My inner voice is calming me down, I see the others deploying the Jetski, Jesse is riding it and Deano holds onto the back. They need to be quick, every moment feels like 10 hours have past.

Marlow drops sheepishly to her boards mercy. I knew she was unconscious.

The Jetski arrived, the wall of people watched on in shock at the scene unfolding right to their eyes.

I could hardly look myself.

Jesse POV:

I wasted no time when Deano and I made it out onto the open water. I revved the engine as hard as was safe, I knew if I hesitated two children won't be going home with all their body tonight.

I saw the dorsal fin, it looked shiny as the water slid off its grey complexion. Now turning my attention to Marls and Jack.

Marls is pale and looks unconscious, Jack is okay and sitting up now, he looks to be worried for Marls as he's holding her hand willing her to wake up.
He equally was pale and was gaunt.

'Jack, stay calm we're going to scare the shark out to sea, keep her stable. I'll be back for her. Deano will help you till then.' I nod at Deano to go into the Ayer at his own risk, but this is our little sister on the line.

Deano swims over to the two teens and places two fingers on Marley's neck.

'Strong pulse, just a shock I suppose' Deano reassures me as I rev the engine ready to scare this shark back to where it belongs.

It was a great white, dangerous, as soon as it hears the roar of the jet ski it scurries back to the wider ocean. Just to be safe I follow it 500 metres off shore.

After reaching a certain point I radio the tower with an update

Shark is gone from South end, going back to check on the patients now

As I drive the jet ski through each wave coming in, I see Deano with the two kids on two boards.

Marlow has come around it seems like, she's sitting up and so is Jack. I can't even imagine her emotions right now, never a dull moment.

'Okay Jack you hold onto the back with Dean and Marls you come up front with me!' I raise my voice, they all nod and grab onto the Jetski.

'Are you okay? Did he get you?' I look her up and down looking for injuries