chapter 16

Hoppo POV:

*buzz-buzz-buzz*

My phone vibrates three consecutive times in my jacket, it's pack up time as it's 6.54pm precisely.
I watch over the boys taking down the flags, locking up the equipment and having general banter as the evening draws to a close.

Rummaging to find my phone, I open it up to see three text messages.

Soon.
You'll know what I mean when I say heartbreak.
Watch it Brucey.

James. The nightmare continues, where is Marlow now? I swore I just saw her in the tower half an hour ago. She's probably hanging out with Maxi and Jesse just talking about Jack. Girls I suppose!

I walk along the sand to meet the tower door. I hear no higher pitched voice, no girly voice echoing my audio. I immediately don't hesitate and bust through the door, Maxi and Gonzo are wrapping up the first aid kits and locking up.

'Where is she?' I pant
'Woah, Hop, Marlow?' Maxi looks concerned, I obviously am mirroring my inner thoughts visually.
'Yes Maxi? Who else is a 'she' around here?'
'Oh she went home 30 odd minutes ago, pretty smitten with this boy I tell you Hop!'

She's at home. Alone.

'I have to go, see you tomorrow!' I shout back to them running out the door grabbing my belongings.

Maxi POV:

Hoppo has just burst into the tower, what the heck? He seems really worried, I zip up the defib as he approaches me and Gonz.

'Where is she?' He looks scared, frightened almost, colour draining from his face. Surely Jack wasn't that much of a threat?

'Woah, Hop, Marlow?' I let out a smile at his unease, he is being dramatic if this is about Jack and the kiss.

'Yes Maxi? Who else is a 'she' around here?' He sneers back, I was taken by surprise at this, he was actually being really rude. I look at Gonz with disbelief.

I decide, let's play hard ball, he wants to be rude I can fuel his nightmare and what he's obviously afraid of.

'Oh she went home 30 odd minutes ago, pretty smitten with this boy I tell you Hop!' I laugh , internally high fiving myself. He now looks flustered and almost speechless.

'I have to go, see you tomorrow!' He practically flys out the door. Jesus, I'm pretty sure that boy left hours ago and anyway, Marls knows about protection I smirk.

Hop can be a pain, but I love him like a Dad. Keeping me on for this traineeship of a lifetime is more than I could ask from any relative. Yet, playing fun is alright too I suppose.

Hoppo POV:

James could have her right now, she could be slipping away from me. I contemplate calling the police, maybe they can shut roads and make sure he can't leave the country with my daughter.

No Hoppo! She's probably just fine!

I decide, a short call will be no problem, then I'll go back to Bondi and all will be okay.

Grabbing my phone I frantically tap her contact, it lets out several rings.

No answer.

She's gone Hop!
She's fine!
Gone!
Fine!
Dead!
Alive!
Hurt!
Healthy!

Stop! I shake my head, my mind is playing favourites and I want to kick out the bad thoughts.

Reaching our home, I take a deep breath and open the door. I start to call her name,

'Marlow! Marls! It's Dad! Are you here?' I shout.

Nothing, no answer.

I drop everything and run up the wooden stairs, I run into my room, silence. I come to Marls door.

I hear a faint breathing noise, like someone at peace breathing deeply.

I peek in, there, Marlow, asleep.

I melt in relief.

She looks peaceful and very zen flopped on her bed. Thongs at the bedside and bags thrown over in the corner. A little smile painted her frail face.

I get a blanket from my room and put it over her, it shapes her small figure and she doesn't even move.
Deep in sleep.

I back out of her room, careful not to make her wake up. I reassure myself that she's fine, she's doing fine Hop. I was over dramatic, I think Maxi probably was right, I am over dramatic!

Breathing out a sigh, I decide to head back to the beach and grab the paper work I left behind in a hurry. I walk out the door, weirdly feeling proud, and took off slowly down the Pavillion. Taking in the beauty of a sunset. Breathing in the salty air I calm myself, bring my heart rate down and mirror Marlows thoughts. Worry free.

I look behind me. I have a sinking feeling that someone's behind me, following me. I was worry free in a split second I'm paranoid.

A shadow flashes my vision, it's quite dark, anyone could easily hide. I know the boys are in icebergs, I might call in after grabbing my items and keep away from sketchy happenings.

Furrowing my brow I turn back to where my office building is situated, I shrug my shoulders and keep walking.

Suddenly something grabs the scruff of my lifeguard uniform top, instantly taken by the shock , I am pulled back by the neck. I come face to face with a man, black haired with stubble lining his jawline. I instantly know who it is.

James.

I cough being choked slightly,

'W-what do y-ou want-t' I say I'm restrained breaths
'You know exactly what I want, I have told your daughter what I want already' he smirks, an evil, soulless smirk.
'Revenge' he drops my neck and kicks my to the ground. I fall to my knees, I'm going to die, I'll never make it home, Bondi is deserted, no help for awhile away.

He picks me pack up my the scruff of the neck, I shake my self together and gather all my strength and hit a punch with a clenched fist right to his nose. he doubles over in agony.

I had obviously angered him immensely as he came charging at me, he knocks me back to the ground, except this time I hit the side of the pavement.

It's like as if I had taken three green whistles and got high and drunk all at once. I felt light, as if my body and soul had left me entirely. I lay on the side walk, I see James see a light turn on behind me, it hurts my vision, it starts to go blurry. James evades the crime scene. I groan in pain, it washes over me in a flash.

I look up at the stars now coming out,

'Emily, if your there, listening, look after Marl' a single tear pricks my eye

I'm going to die here.

A/N: We now see that Hoppo has his weak sides, he's not always the boss.

Do you like school? I'm torn, I feel it can drag on but I love having friends.

Star and comment if you like this story/chapter.

Xo