𝑴𝑶𝑵𝑺𝑻𝑬𝑹 𝑵𝑼𝑴𝑩𝑬𝑹 𝑻𝑾𝑶

"So today you all are being assigned to volunteer work in Mystic falls

"So today you all are being assigned to volunteer work in Mystic falls." Alaric announces towards his little group of teenagers.

Lizzie groans. "Why am I doing this?"

"You know why." Alaric shoots her a sharp look.

"Cmon ric, all we did was use our powers a bit." Jace throws his hands up in mock confusion. Alec nodding in agreement.

"Why am I here?" Hope questions genuinely curious.

That is until Alaric narrows his eyes at her. "Don't even get me started on you." 

"You're seriously going to hold that against me." She gapes. Thinking she got out of it because of last night, but it was only wishful thinking.

"What'd she do?" Lizzie questions curiously, wondering what her sister did that was so bad. She had heard about her mental break down and she didn't blame her older sister at all.

"Just leave it, love." Klaus waves her off with a small sad smile. Lizzie sighs but complies.

"Who's going to be our Chaperone?" Alec questions with his arms crossed in annoyance. "I know you."

"Dorian." All of the kids groan, he was boring. "And Jeremy."

They all mumble subtle 'thank gods.' Although Lizzie, Hope, and Josie didn't really bond with him from what they heard from their brothers he was a really nice and fun person. Jace out of all of them was thankful for the man the most.

"The bus will be here soon." Alaric nods his head. "You can go get ready now, meet in the front in half an hour."

They all groan and stomp out of the room leaving Klaus and Alaric alone. "Do you think I did the right thing? Punishing them?" Alaric questions.

"I think it's what Camilla would've done." Klaus nods his head with a small smile.

"You know if you were more like this the very first time you came to Mystic falls we all would've gotten along." Alaric shrugs.

"No we wouldn't have." Klaus counters with a knowing smirk. Before it drops. "I also would've had a big family and Camilla would still be alive had I not been such a... What do you call it. Oh right, pompous ass."

"You can't have known that." Alaric looks at him sympathetically. Handing him a glass of bourbon.

"We all wish we could turn back the clocks. But we never do get that wish do we?" Klaus questions to no one in particular. Turning to the head master he questions curiously. "What time would that be for you?"

"Honestly I don't know. I loved Joe with all of my heart but Camilla has been an amazing mother to the twins and I know Joe would've said the same exact thing." He shrugs.

"We're both destined for misery aren't we? To die alone?" Klaus chuckles lightly.

"You were her happy ending Klaus." Alaric says, making the tension rise. "Remember that." Before he leaves the room.

Rolling his eyes Klaus' smile slowly fades. "Well darling all of your friends do love killing the mood don't they?" He mumbles hoping she could some how here him.

"They sure do." Camilla laughs lightly.

• • •

"Brother." Klaus turns around and sees his little sister Rebekah.

"Rebekah." He nods his head in greeting before pouring the rest of the blood bag into his glass.

"You know many years ago I never understood why Elijah fought so hard for your redemption. I thought it would be an endless journey that would get him killed." She says with a small smile.

"Thanks." He replies sarcastically with a playful roll of his eyes.

"But after Hope was born I began to see parts of your old self. And then we came back here. And you put her before yourself for once. For once you put someone else's needs before yours." She smiles widely at the man. "I'm glad that I never managed to escape from this dreadful family."

"We can all only hope." He smirks, making her scoff annoyed and throw a plate near his head. Though he catches it an inch away from his eye.

"Can I ask you something serious?" He suddenly questions, looking at the plate like it was the most interesting thing ever. "I would ask Lijah but he'd talk me out of it... and I know that you know a thing or two about love and heartbreak."

Rebekah visibly perks up, this was the first time in their thousand years of living that he had come to her for advice. She felt particularly special right now. "Of course what is it?"

"Would it be selfish of me to want to..." he trails off once he hears footsteps running towards the kitchen.

"Somethings wrong." Josie pants out, breathing heavily from both fear and exhaustion.

"What's wrong?" Rebekah urgently questions the girl.

"There's a gargoyle in the school. It stabbed Lizzie." She begins sobbing. "I dragged her towards the other kids and teachers but she's paralyzed and she might die."

Klaus and Rebekahs eyes widen in confusion and worry. Klaus steps forward rubbing the girls back. "What do you mean gargoyle? Weren't you guys in town?"

"We came back because a kid threw a smoothie all over Lizzies hair. A-and then I saw that she was stabbed." She hiccups. Obviously having a borderline panic attack.

"Bloody hell." Rebekah whispers under her breath when she realizes this was not some sort of prank. In all their years of living a gargoyle was never a reality to them. "Josie, love, I need to bring you back to the rest of the kids and teachers. Let us deal with it alright?"

Josie hesitantly nods before allowing Rebekah to escort her back. Rebekah shares one last meaningful glance with her brother before leaving.

Klaus walks out into the hall to see Alaric standing in front of Rebekah and Hope. He was defending them from a giant gargoyle. He speeds towards the three and tackles them away from the monster while Josie and Jace attempt to take out the monster.

"Motus!" They both scream and everyone watches while the stone monster explodes into tiny little pieces.

"Oh thank god." Alaric coughs.

"How could you?!" Josie screams at her dad.

"Wha-" Alaric starts but stops when Josie begins screaming again.

"We just lost mom! And you were willing to die and leave us just like her?" Josie yells with tears streaming down her face.

"Josie... it wasn't going to kill me because I'm human." He whispers sadly, seeing how much it affected her.

"You didn't know that for sure." She counters stubbornly.

"Alright love, lets go check on Lizzie, yeah?" Klaus cuts in, sending Alaric a grateful yet sympathetic smile.

• • •

Later on Alaric decided to address the school as a whole. After a lecture from Hope and Jace he decided to take their advice.

"There is a knife here that has been luring strange monsters to it." He begins watching all the kids send him looks of confusion with dumb founded expressions. Damon and Bonnie stand together in the crowd also dumb founded with their spouses seeing as they were out of town for a few days.

"It is our job to protect humans from this danger. We have no clue why they want it... but we need to figure out why. You are all still safe, but if you want to leave feel free too." He finishes with a sad smile. Looking towards the older Mikaelson twins who both nod their heads at the man in an appreciative motion.

Hope walks out of the room into the hallway but pauses when she sees Landon and Raphael at the other end. Maintaining eye contact with the human boy she simply turns around and walks away.