Chapter 23

Something wasn't right here. The way Eric was acting wasn't genuine and that made me concerned about what was going on.

"So what all that stuff about caring about Evie, that was just crap?" Sookie said as Eric paced around thinking.

"Sookie stop." I told her. I could feel the anxiety getting worse in this room.

"Big phony. Big hat and no cattle." Sookie continued, ignoring me.

"Do you mind? I'm trying to think here."

"Thought you said our lives were too valuable to throw away?"

"You are valuable, that's very clear. I'm just not sure why."

"Sookie, I'm risking everything to tell you this, because your sister means so much to me. She makes me feel almost human." Sookie said imitating Eric's voice. Suddenly he was in front of my sister with his fangs out. She's officially pissed him off.

"You mean nothing to me, understand? Nothing. I'm very close to something I've wanted since I was still human. Do not get in my way."

"Eric." I said and he looked over at me before standing up.

"I hate your fucking guts Eric Northman!" Sookie snapped at him. "I promise, I will pay you back for this." Then Russel came in the room fixing his belt.

"Sorry to have kept you waiting. A husband's work is never done." Eric turned around and smiled at him. "Leave us."

"As you wish." Eric said and left the room.

"Now," Russel started when Eric was gone. "Tell me what you are?"

"I'm a waitress." Sookie said.

"Yes, and I'm Marie of Romania. I'm a very patient man Miss Stackhouse, one can afford to be when one is immortal but, my patience is not without limits."

Russel then made a fire, for reasons I wasn't sure I wanted to know. When the fire was getting bigger I was more confused.

"Isn't it warm out, for a fire sir?" I asked him.

"Such manners. I suppose it is. I love a good fire. There's something primal about it. Always makes things more dramatic." He touched the poker and I heard his skin sizzle from it. "Now." He put the poker away. "It's time for you to answer my questions, Miss Stackhouse." He then sat in front of us.

"Fine. I have some questions for you too." Sookie told him. He laughed.

"Oh honey, there's a fine line between feisty and delusional. You're not in any position to bargain."

"You don't know that."

"Oh, now it's getting interesting."

"So I'll answer one of your questions, and you'll answer one of mine?" He laughed again, clearly amused.

"Who goes first?"

"Are you the king of all vampires?" Sookie asked. He laughed at this for a moment.

"Heavens no my dear girl. I am merely the king of Mississippi."

"Do you have a crown?"

"I have several. That's two questions, my turn. What are you? You're definitely not human."

"Our parents were human." 

"How do you know? And how do you know they were your parents, for that matter?"

"My grandfather was like me."

"Which is?" Russel leaned forward.

"I can hear people's thoughts. And shifters, werewolves. Not vampires."