Twenty-Eight

"Hi, my little dazzle." He said gently. To anyone he would seem arrogant and carefree but I could see the real him. I could see the hurt in his eyes, the sadness at seeing me back here after all of these years. I could see his insecurities as he shifted slightly onto his other foot. 

To anyone else it would look like he was just standing more comfortably but but paired with the way his jaw ticked slightly I could tell he was nervous. I hated him and he knew it. 

I silently stared at him. Part of me wanted to jump into his arms and tell him how much I missed my big Fierce, but I couldn't. He hurt me worse than I thought was possible at that point. I almost let my walls down for him but I learnt my lesson. 

I was here to keep my word to Coeus, nothing more. There was no way I could be with a man that cruel. The worst part wasn't even what he did. I knew he had pride and anger issues, but he never told me. He just let me start to fall for him and probably never planned on telling me. 

How can I trust him? How can I be sure that he even feels bad about what he did? How can I possibly let my walls back down for him?

"Well, this is awkward. I'm out." Coeus said, throwing up a peace sign before disappearing. 

I sighed. I was too tense to enjoy Coeus's weirdness.

"Ares." I said, stiffly nodding at him. 

I stared at the ground, shifting from foot to foot. I couldn't look into his eyes. I couldn't let him see all the hurt he caused. I couldn't let him see that he had won, that he had managed to break me. 

"Why?" He asked, breaking the silence. 

I puffed shaking my head, knowing exactly what he was asking. 

Why did I leave him?

I never told him why I left, I didn't think he deserved to know. I wanted him to feel even a sliver of the pain I had felt my whole life. 

"Little dazzle, please. Just tell me why, please!" He said, his voice becoming a little desperate. 

Now that there was no one else around he was letting his vulnerability show through. 

He walked up to me and I turned my head away but refused to actually back away from him. He brushed a strand of hair behind my ear, grabbing my chin lightly in his hand to face him. 

I stared into his forest green eyes and I almost flinched at how filled with sadness and hurt they were. I could even see a slight glistening as he held back a tear that tried to fall.

I felt my eyes fill with tears, one sliding down my cheek as I took in the familiar sensations of his hands on my face. 

"Just as dazzling as the day I met you." He said so softly it was almost a whisper. 

I felt myself lean in slightly and that finally snapped me out of it. I felt my face harden and I shook my head, backing away, pushing his hands off. 

"I'm not your little dazzle, Ares. Stop." I said coldly and he visibly flinched, his eyebrows scrunching together adorably. 

He looked down at his feet for a minute before looking back up with new resolve. 

"No, no, you're going to tell me what I did, this is enough. You are my little dazzle and I am your fierce. I was convinced we were going to be soul bounds, Eclipse, I'm sure we would've felt it soon but then you just left! No explanation, no nothing! Not even a note! You actually had my brother, Zeus come and tell me it was over because you wouldn't even do it yourself! I'm done with this bullshit, please, just tell me what I did wrong, let me fix it. I need my little dazzle, I need you!" He exclaimed but was careful not to raise his voice at me. I hated being yelled at and he knew that.