Forty-Five

Today was the Eclipse. 

I was sitting in bed with Ares, throwing back no joke my fiftieth latte of the day. 

"Seriously, what's wrong?" Ares asked for the millionth time and for the millionth time I just shrugged, causing him to groan in annoyance and throw his head back. 

"Stubborn bitch." He mumbled and I narrowed my eyes. 

"Nosey bastard." I shot back and he tried to give me a disapproving look but I could see his lips twitching. 

"Seriously little Dazzle. Please, what's wrong? I know there's something wrong, please, let me help. Please." He said softly, holding me close and I could feel my resolve breaking. 

My body started shaking. I didn't know whether it was from my stress, sadness, fear or the amount of caffeine I'd consumed, but if I had to guess I'd say it was a mixture of all 4. 

I pulled back, tears trying to escape my eyes. 

"I-if I tell you. You can't t-turn on me. Okay? I need you to promise me. I need you." I sniffled and he nodded straight away. 

"I promise. I could never turn on you. I will never, ever, ever, turn on you, love. Ever." 

I nodded, tears slipping down my face. 

"Can we take a walk while I tell you? Maybe through my floor fields?" I asked softly and he smiled softly, making my insides melt.

Oh god, what if he betrays me. What if he's secretly a snake? 

My thoughts were quieted as he took his hand in my mind, pulling me off the bed before teleporting both of us to my beautiful flower fields. 

I couldn't help my teary laugh as I took in his concerned face as he settled down amongst the amazing flowers

I told him everything. 

I finally told him my secret and it felt so good to get it off my chest. 

He just silently nodded, taking in the information as I recounted the complex story, relieved to finally get it off my chest. 

When I was finished he sat there in silence for about 30 seconds, processing everything. 

My heart was beating loudly in my chest as I awaited his reaction. My anxiety was trying to convince me that this was him rejecting me but I forced myself to wait for an actual response. 

Suddenly Ares jumped up, panic all over his face. 

I was about to ask him what he was doing people began popping out of nowhere, surrounding us. 

No. 

Not people. 

Stars. 

Star warriors. 

I shot to my feet next to Ares but before either of us could teleport away they were all shooting  at us. Thousands of darts that moved faster than the speed of light and contained a poison that made it impossible to teleport shot through the air towards us. 

We both tried to dodge them and get the fuck out of there but we were JUST too slow. He got one in his arm and I got one to the neck and one to the ankle. 

We couldn't teleport. We couldn't escape. 

The star warriors suddenly started charging us and we both readied, back to back, prepared for the fight. 

Yes, we knew how to fight, we knew what we were doing, but they were fighting dirty. They were prepared and we didn't have a single weapon, let alone any kind of protective armor.