Chapter 23

Jessica was waiting for me by her car. I saw her short brown hair bob to me before she said anything. I don't know what reaction i made to have her pause in her steps. She hesitated before coming forward. Theo looked between me and her and i shrugged. 

He gave me a small nod the 'I won't be far' look on his face. We were both becoming unreasonably paranoid. I don't know how Bella hadn't been. Once encounter with Jame's and his coven and I'm dreaming of them all the time. 

Jessica hissed leaning forward to me, "Can I like... talk to you?"

"Of course Jess." 

"Over there?" Jessica pointed at her car where the others were. I flinched when i made eye contact with them.

"Sure."

She slowly started guiding me to her car. I couldn't stop by looking around first finding Theo with Augustus and Simon standing by the steps and then to Edward just coming out of his car with the others. My safety nets if i had to make a quick getaway.

Angela pushed herself into my arms before Jessica managed to start the conversation. The warmth and worry of her embrace sent chills down my spine and a very determined voice within me told me i didn't deserve her worry. Angela looked over my facial reaction, "are you okay?"

"Of course she's okay Ange." Tyler snorted, "see what she did to Brian?"

Ben Cheney smacked his arm, "dude, shut up."

Jessica seized control, "can you all just... Angie she's fine. Seriously. It's not like she's the one who died... not that. That came out wrong. I'm sorry Bella."

I laughed, "no offense taken. You're right. I didn't die. I'm okay."

Jessica grinned in relief, "right! Okay, but Bella we need like a serious intervention! What the hell is going on with you? I mean we don't want to push..."

Mike cut her off, "we did our best to strap her down for you." 

jess shot him a glare that he laughed off, "You've been seriously strange for awhile now and with the accident you're like a completely different person."

I rubbed my temple, "it'll take too long to explain."

"Then at lunch. You'll sit with us this time right? You could bring your friends," Jess said in compromise. 

I closed my eyes wondering how mad Charlie would be if i ditched again. After all of my childish tantrums this passed month and the stress that the killings had caused him i didn't think i should keep doing this. There is no escape today unless i plan to avoid them for the rest of the school year. The others might be willing to let things go but Jessica has been seriously waiting for a story for the longest time. She's determined. 

"I'll let them know."

Simon waved at Jessica once i got to him. I turned to see if i could catch her reaction but her face was already looking away by the time i peeked. "Edward said she doesn't like me very much." Simon whispered, "she'll have to deal with indigestion during lunch then."

"Sorry about that," i rolled my eyes, "I kept putting her off and I've been so prickly— she's either sincerely concerned or needs to gather some blackmail on me."

"You doubt her sincerity?" Simon asked.

"I doubt everyone."

"Even me?"

"Especially you," i teased which made him smile, "the other's leave already?"

"They figured I'd want time with you alone." Simon's fingers slipped into my jacket pocket and pulled me closer. Just close enough to smell his cologne but not close enough to make me uncomfortable. He's really good at doing that. Keeping a fair distance depending on my mood.