prologue

14

"Well I don't know if I'm readyTo be the man I have to beI'll take a breath, I'll take her by my sideWe stand in awe, we've created life

To be the man I have to be
I'll take a breath, I'll take her by my side
We stand in awe, we've created life..." — Creed

Harry looked down at the box in his hands, unable to process the reality of the situation. This was absolutely ridiculous and he didn't know how or why he had been so careless in the first place. Perhaps he wouldn't be where he was currently if he'd been more careful. No, he definitely wouldn't be where he was currently if that had been the case.

"Harry?" Eleanor spoke as she looked at her friend, a look of concern written all over her face because Harry hadn't made a sound in the past ten minutes or so and instead had been staring at the box in his hands, unmoving and completely focused.

"Yeah?" Harry asked after a few more moments of silence and then tore his eyes away from the box to look at Eleanor instead.

"I'll... be right here. Whenever you're ready to..." Eleanor trailed off and then looked down at the box in Harry's hand again, the thing she'd bought for him that morning at their local pharmacy.

"Yeah... thanks, El," Harry spoke softly and then looked down at the box yet again. "I guess I should just get it over with, yeah? I mean... knowing is better than not knowing." He said quietly, swallowing thickly.

"Knowing is better than not knowing." Eleanor agreed and then offered Harry a sympathetic smile. "No matter the result... I'll always be here for you. I just feel the need to tell you that."

Harry gave her a small nod and then let out a shaky breath before heading out of his room and went to the bathroom across the hall, shutting and then locking the door behind him.

Harry opened the box hesitantly as if something horrendous would pop out of the box and end life as he knew it. Even if that wasn't the case, it still kind of felt like the little white stick would be the end of life as he knew it.

Harry read the instructions although they were pretty straightforward and it didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out exactly how to use it. After Harry had done what the instructions said, he put the cap on the end of the stick and placed the stick on the counter while he washed his hands, drying them off afterward.

The instructions had told him that the wait time could be up to five minutes, but it could also be less than that. Harry didn't know which he was more anxious about. The immediate results or having to wait for the results.

Harry put the toilet lid down and sat down on it, thinking over everything and nothing all at the same time. He felt as if he were in shock, that none of this was real.

When Harry finally felt ready to look at the results of the test, he took a few deep breaths and told himself that no matter what the results were, he would be fine. One way or another, he would be fine. Even if things weren't fine, they would be.

Harry stood up and looked at himself in the mirror before reaching down to grab the little white stick, picking it up to read the results.

Pregnant.

Harry never thought one little word could terrify him, but he was proven wrong. He looked at himself in the mirror again and then started laughing a little because all of this still felt unreal. How could this be happening?

Harry's laughter died down quickly and instead he was left feeling a bit numb, that is, until he picked up both the box and the pregnancy test and walked back into his room, shutting and locking the door behind him.

"Well?" Eleanor asked, looking up from her phone and then setting it down so she could talk to Harry again, hoping for the best but she was honestly expecting the worst, watching as Harry set the box and the pregnancy test on the dresser.

"I'm pregnant," Harry replied softly, and that's when a sudden wave of emotions hit him and his eyes began tearing up as if saying those two words out loud suddenly made his situation much more real.

"Oh, Harry," Eleanor spoke softly and then stood up from Harry's bed, walking over to pull Harry into a tight hug. "It's gonna be okay." She said softly as Harry let his tears fall, and even if things weren't going to be okay, she was going to stick by his side no matter what happened.

Harry cried on Eleanor's shoulder for a while, all the while Eleanor held Harry close, rubbing his back and doing her best to comfort him. Soon enough though, Harry had calmed down and pulled away from the hug, wiping his tears.

"I have to tell Louis," Harry said softly, and if his face wasn't giving away the fact that he'd just been crying, his voice definitely gave it away.

"Yeah, but you don't have to do that right now, Harry," Eleanor assured softly as she looked at Harry. "You can do that when you're feeling better. Do you want me to stay the night?"

"Please?" Harry asked and then sniffled a little when Eleanor nodded.

"Of course, H," Eleanor spoke softly and then pulled Harry into a gentle hug before pulling away after a few moments. "Let me go call my mum really quickly, yeah? I'll be right back." She promised and then went to grab her phone before leaving the room.

Harry wiped his face again and then picked up the pregnancy test again, knowing he needed to hide it since he couldn't exactly throw it away because there was a very big chance his mother or sister would find it.

"Pregnant." Harry read the words on the screen again and then shook his head. "At fourteen." He said, the feeling of dread setting in again.