Chapter 16: The Rename

"So it looks like we're going with Redwing." Nightwing said, talking about Caleb's new codename.

"No! I'm not going to be a knock off you." Caleb replied offended.

"What's the problem with being a knock off him?" Stephanie said. Caleb just stared at her with a look that said what are you talking about. Stephanie then continued "Aren't there like 5 knock off batman's? So again what's the problem with being a knock off Nightwing?"

"The problem with it is that up until a week ago I didn't want to be involved with any of you so why would I become a knock off?" Caleb replied. After Caleb said that Cass lowered her head slightly and no one but Caleb noticed.

"Then why are you here if you don't want to be involved with us?" Stephanie asked.

It took Caleb a moment but he answered "the resources."

"Oh wow are we just a means to an end for you?" Nightwing asked, to which Caleb merely nodded. Seeing Caleb's response Cass stood up from where she was sitting and grabbed Caleb's arm and led him away from the group. She took him down the stairs so they were standing on a platform next to the subway tracks.

"Why you hate us?" Cass asked Caleb as she looked like she could start crying at any moment.

"I don't hate them. I just don't like them either." Caleb told her.

"Wh...what a..about me?" she asked.

"You, um. You're the first person I'd actually call a friend in a long time." he told her. Cass just stared at Caleb when he told her this. He then continued "so no I don't hate you." Cass then hugged Caleb tightly which surprised him. Once Caleb realized what had happened he hugged Cass back and kissed the top of her head. After he kissed her she looked up at him with a questioning look on her face so Caleb said "what you got to surprise me with that earlier so i figured it was my turn." Cass then laid her head against his chest and hugged him tighter before letting go and taking a step back.

"So um are we good?" Caleb asked Cass nervously.

"We good Redwing." Cass replied.

Caleb sighed then said "I take it you like the name?" Cass just nodded in response so Caleb continued "Well I still don't, like why did blackbird have to be taken by some rando criminal no one has heard of."

Cass then grabbed Caleb's arm again and led him back to where they left Nightwing and Spoiler to find the two looking at something on the computer. Nightwing then looked over to see Cass and Caleb approaching and said "so what was that about?"

"Don't expect this again but i should apologize the two of you are just trying to help and I've treated you like shit because this mission is very personal for me so I'm sorry." Caleb said, walking up to Nightwing and Stephanie.

"Don't worry about it. I'm used to that sort of attitude I have, oh how many siblings do I have. Cass, how many siblings do we have?!" Nightwing said.

"To many." Cass replied to Nightwing's question.