Chapter 40: Underwing (part 7)

"Do you think he overheard us?" Barbara asks Dick referring to the conversation they just had.

"Probably." Dick tells her as the two walk down the stairs to the garage where Caleb is sitting on the hood of a Batmobile. As they walk down the stairs Caleb sees Dick had taken his mask off and there was a redhead in a batgirl costume walking beside him who had also removed their mask. As the two approach Caleb he hops off the Batmobile he was sitting on and walks up to the more experienced vigilanties.

"I take it you're Barbara?" Caleb says putting his hand out to her.

"So you overheard us?" Barbara asks, shaking his hand.

"Every word." Caleb says. He then goes back to sitting on the hood of the Batmobile, Barbara just stares at him as he does so. "What?" Caleb asks when he realizes she is staring at him.

"Is that it? You say you overheard us then move on?" Barbara asks.

"You don't trust me, so what am I supposed to care?" Caleb responds.

"Trust means something in this line of work so you should care if people don't trust you." Barbara tells him.

"The best friend I've had in years put a sword through me last night so I really don't care what you think of me." Caleb tells her hopping off the Batmobile.

"What about what Batman thinks of you?" She asks.

"Batman can go screw himself!" Caleb shouts. 

"Caleb calm down there's no need for a fight." Dick says. Caleb then walks away from them towards the motorcycles that were still stored there. "Where are you going?" Nightwing asks as Caleb pulls up his mask and gets on a bike.

(same as before but incase you forgot all white on the bike in the image is black in the story

-S.L. )

"None of your business." Caleb growls as he drives off.

"Should we follow him?" Barbara asks.

"Let him go, I'll talk to him later." Dick tells her.

About an hour later Caleb is sitting in a cemetery with his mask and hood down when he hears someone walking nearby. Caleb then pulls his mask and hood back on and disappears into the darkness of the cemetery at 3am. From the shadows Caleb saw that it was Dick walking through the cemetery. Caleb then appeared behind him and asked "what do you want?"

"You seemed angrier earlier with Batgirl. I just wanted to check on you to make sure you're ok." Dick told him.

"She's right." Caleb says.

"About what?" Dick asks.

"Not trusting me." Caleb says.

"She may not trust you now but she will. You're a good kid Caleb, you just need direction and someone to show you the way." Dick says turning to face Caleb.

"Like the court." Caleb says.

"I was thinking me but if that's what you want to do I won't stop you." Dick says.

"Why would you help me?" Caleb asks.

"Because I know you're a good kid who's just been through some shit recently and helping people is what I do." Dick tells him. "So Caleb Rivers..." Dick starts before he is interrupted.

"Millz. It's Caleb Millz." Caleb tells him.

"Sorry about that." Dick says before continuing "Caleb Millz will you be my sidekick again so the Wings can protect Gotham together?"

"Fine but you are not calling me Liitlewing." Caleb says.

"No promises." Dick reptiles before Caleb jumps over the fence surrounding the cemetery and drives off into the night.