Chapter 10

EMERALDS POV

My first day is over... I got off duty officially at 6:30 PM.. I am currently on my way home as my chaperone is driving me, I asked him first to take me to the supermarket and he was kind enough to walk around with me and push my trolley while I shopped.

I've learned his name is Dean, Dean is helping me up to my apartment with my groceries... once inside I thank him as he rests them unto my table and I search for my now ringing phone in my bag... and yay it's my dad.

"hey old man"

"hey nastiness! So I heard you're here in the states and did not call your old man! is that what we've come to? you broke your old mans heart"

" well old man..! if you'd stop chasing tail and read your Whatsapp now and then you'd see I messaged you 2 weeks ago!"

" what really?... well shit...! .. sorry Em!... "

"uh huh... sure sure... anyway I'm in San Francisco.. and I'm working so you'd have to come and see me.. I brought you your fave!... Breadfruit and i got you some Peanut Sugar Cakes and Ginger Sticks!..."

" I didn't hear you mention rum though... no Sunset Very Strong? or Sparrows?"

" I will not be encouraging your drinking old man... so no and nope!"

..." whatever!... so.. how's the new job?''

..." well today was my first day and it was okay, we'll see how it pans out going forward.. if all else fails I suppose I'll have to sell batty ah road ( Batty in the Caribbean means butt/ass ) "

He laughs ... " I'll never allow you to do that Em... you can work in my construction business with me... do some big man work"

" no problemo ... anyway I'll talk to you later, I'll send you my address in a few.. I'm gonna unpack some groceries and have a shower then go cook.. I love you!"

" alright pickney fu me.. later... love you too!" ( Pickney is a Caribbean word for Child )

I unpack and have a shower then head back to the kitchen to prep my lunch for tomorrow..

** knock knock knock** Yes?... " Hiiiii! we are your neighbors, well downstairs neighbors .. we know we're a few days late but we still wanted to come and welcome you to the neighborhood and bring you these cookies and apple pie..

" wow thank you very much this was very kind of you... I'm Emerald nice to meet you.".... "I'm Astrid and this is my boyfriend Benjamin good to meet you."... Oh please come in.."

We spent the evening chatting and getting to know each other.. Benjamin is kind of creepy though... The way he stares is rather uncomfortable..

They finally left at 9:15... I'm so sleepy... I quickly dish out the lunches for tomorrow and brush my teeth before hopping into bed and setting my phone to alarm in the morning and drift off to sleep....