Epilogue (1 of 2)

Epilogue (1 of 2)

I was born to believe that my name screams power, wealth, and status. But I grew up sharing that sentiment with my twin sister.

It was like we were two branches sprouting from the same tree, forever competing for sunlight and nourishment.

But as we grew, I realized that aside from the power, wealth, and status, we also inherited these damned expectations, like a crown crafted from the finest gold, resting firmly on our heads.

They see us as an embodiment of perfection to protect us from any flaw, like a thick royal mantle wrapped around our body—a luxurious cloak to cover up our scars and blemishes.

It was long over, I declared. The inborn competition for sunlight my sister and I didn't ask for was long over.

I cut my branch to fall and decay, so she could rise above and flourish.

"What a gold digger."

Mag-isa at nananahimik ako sa mesa nang huminto ang tatlong babae malapit sa pwesto ko.

They belonged to Tobiah's circle. Well, not anymore, after what I did at his birthday party.

Now, are they here to get under my skin for turning down one of them earlier? Or for thinking that I was...

I caught the girl in question snatching glances at me that she flinched at the mere sight of my gaze. She hid between her friends and behaved immersed in the subject.

Iritado na, sinundan ko iyon ng tingin at natagpuan ang pamilya na kausap nila Tito Vince.

My eyes were immediately fixed on a certain spot. Natanto ko, na 'yong batang babae ang sentro ng usapan ng tatlong babae rito.

"Smiles like that are so familiar. It's giving me santa-santita energy para makuha ang pabor ng mga Fabian."

"I remember my Dad's mistress. The first time she met with us, she looked exactly like that!"

"You mean, like a desperate gold-digging bitch?" They snickered.

My stomp made a resounding thud as I forcefully pushed back the chair while rising to my feet. The noisy girls jolted in surprise, hands on their chests as shock washed over their faces upon turning to me.

That earned me the reaction I wanted. I smirked before walking toward my family's table.

Wala naman akong pakialam kung sino ang pinagdidiskitahan ng mga iyon. Ang akin lang, 'wag nilang sirain ang gabi ko.

Nevertheless, I appreciated that the crowd respects our family's privacy. Dahil na rin siguro hindi pampubliko ang party ni Tita.

Normally, I'd sit for no more than ten minutes with my family because people would always find ways to have a word with my parents. Ngayon, halos naubos ko na ang dinner, saka pa lang nagtangka ang iilan na lumapit sa mga magulang at sa aming magkakapatid.

Gianna was the most approachable and sociable one. It wasn't a surprise that elders had taken a liking to her—not that I cared.

She was doing fine. She worked hard for it. Unlike myself.

"Oh... The dessert looks tasty," Cassidy murmured, her wistful gaze snagging on something.

"You want some?" I asked her while dabbing my mouth clean with the napkin.

Her eyes twinkled when they drifted to me. "Yes, Kuya!"

Nakahanap ako ng dahilan para tumakas. Tumayo ako at tumango sa kanya.