Chapter 43

Chapter 43

Break

Tobie died in a road accident. He was chasing after the ring he was supposed to give me when a truck suddenly appeared.

So what did he mean when Lewis claimed... that Tobie died because of Giovanni? That Gio killed him? What the hell happened four years ago?

Who was lying? Who was telling the truth?

After overhearing that sickening conversation, I decided to leave at lunch time. Nag-half day lang ako dahil alam kong hindi rin ako makakapagtrabaho nang maayos.

I just couldn't accept it. I was in denial. I refused to believe or even think about the possibility that what Lewis had stated was true.

The Assistant Director seemed to notice my poor condition, so she immediately approved it.

I haven't messaged anyone from work about my leave. Mukhang nagkatotoo nga ang plano namin ni Edwards. I wouldn't make it to lunch to join Raquel.

The next day, I called in sick. I was too pale and queasy to go to work when I woke up. Kumatok si Kuya sa pinto bago umalis. Buti na lang nakumbinsi ko itong naka-day off ako ngayong araw.

Solo ko ang bahay pagkababa sa kusina dahil si Mama, abala rin sa panaderya. At that time, I still refused to think about what I heard yesterday, until I opened my phone.

Sunod-sunod ang pagdating ng mga notification doon. I accidentally hit one of the chat heads that popped up on my screen and realized it was our group chat. The latest message had my name tagged in it.

Raquel: We heard you're sick. Get back here as soon as possible. I'll make you pay for pranking me with this pervert!

Then she attached a photo of her and Edwards with her arm hanging around the latter's shoulders. Hagip din doon si David, tahimik na kumakain sa gilid.

That made me smile. Magre-reply pa lang dapat ako sa GC nang biglang sumulpot na naman ang bagong chat doon. This time, it came from Edwards.

Edwards: Are you with Gio?

Me: No. Bakit?

Edwards: Ms. Rio was looking for him but your boyfriend was nowhere to be found. Looks like he's AWOL. Any ideas?

Me: I'll check with him.

Kunot ang noo akong nakatitig sa phone habang iniisip ang posibleng nangyari.

He didn't go to work? And without official leave at that. It was out of character. Ito ang unang pagkakataon na narinig kong ginawa niya ito.

Kahit sa Mackenzie, walang ganitong pangyayari. Like it was a grave sin for him to do that. So what made him do this now?

Sinilip ko ang missed calls sa phone. Most of them were from Giovanni at around lunchtime... afternoon, and evening.

There was a total of 16 missed calls from him! Namilog ang mga mata ko.

Giovanni:

It's lunch. Where are you? I'm waiting in my office.

Giovanni:

Elia, where are you? You're not in your office either. I heard you filed a half-day leave. What happened?

Giovanni:

What is this all of a sudden?

Giovanni:

Pick up my calls, sweetheart.