Chapter 36

Chapter 36

Date

Gumising ako nang hindi pamilyar ang kisameng bumungad sa akin pagkamulat. The ceiling in my room didn't look like this.

Seeing the white concrete cement, the artificial smell of antiseptic, and the blinding glare of white light illuminating the room told me that I was in a hospital room.

I saw an IV drip inserted into my forearm and that was when I recalled what happened at home.

"Riz." Kuya stood up from his seat when I shifted my head in his direction. "How are you feeling? Magpahinga ka pa."

"A-Anong nangyari?" I felt the dryness of my lips when I spoke.

Problemadong napabuntong-hininga si Kuya bago haplusin ang buhok ko.

"You have fever, and anemia on top of that. But you have nothing to worry about. Kailangan mong magpahinga nang maayos sabi ng doktor. And the cut on your arm..." Parang mapapatid na ang pasensiya ng kapatid nang tinuro ang braso ko.

"Ilang oras akong walang malay?"

"Oras? Halos isa't kalahating araw kang tulog, Riz." His answer was linked with frustration. "Your body was weak and overfatigued when we reached the ER that night. I knew the problem with the business would take a toll on you. I told you not to sweat over it too much. Pero ano 'yang nangyari sa katawan mo? Sa braso mo?"

Binalik ko na lang sa kisame ang tingin at umiling.

"Wala 'to, Kuya. Nagasgasan lang kaya-"

"Nagasgasan?" he then laughed sarcastically. "Ang lalim at haba naman ata ng gasgas na 'yan, Riz. Kailangan pang tahiin?"

Pinikit ko na lang ang mga mata at hindi na nagsalita. I know defensing myself won't do any good right now.

At this rate, it's best if I let my brother release all his frustrations and worries for now. There's no telling what they suffered from the time I collapsed. May problema na nga sa panaderya, nakadagdag pa ako sa problema at gastusin. Naabala ko pa sila.

Nagpaalam na muna si Kuya para kumain sa labas. Mukhang dumiretso lang ito rito pagkatapos ng klase niya nang wala pang tanghalian.

Hapon na pala nang gumising ako kanina. Si Mama, inaasikaso ang panaderya ayon kay Kuya.

I smirked to myself when I even thought about seeing her after I woke up. Nagkakamali ako kung iisipin kong nag-alala siya sa kalagayan ko.

It even felt ridiculous thinking that if, God forbid, Kuya was the one hospitalized, she would never leave his side... even if it meant risking the bakeshop's survival.

How could I possibly keep such high hopes and expectations from her anyway? After all the forsaking and hurting she's done to me, I couldn't believe that I'd gone this far just to win her favor. Up to this point, I should be proud of myself for putting up with this lot in life...

Hindi na ako natuto. I grew up holding onto my principles and ideals. But when it comes to my mother, everything would go down the drain.

With this level of insanity, I could pass as the most stupid person in the Guinness Book of World Records.

I took a glance at the wall clock to check the time. The deafening silence was killing me. The combined sounds of the machines within the vicinity were throwing me off.

Inangat ko ang sarili para umupo. According to Kuya, I was out of it for a day and a half. If this is the next day of the day after that night... then... tomorrow is...