13

As her father screamed in her face, throwing insult after insult, and how she'd never understand how difficult she made their lives, she just stood there trying to fight her own internal war. She'd become accustomed to these shouting matches, which weren't really matches, more her father or mother screaming at her. She never fought back because she was always standing there trying to fight back the stinging in her eyes caused by tears.

Standing there, trying to block out his harsh words.

Trying not to think of all the nights she would cry because of him, and trying not to think about the things he actually said.

Trying to forget how she used to try to use some of her mother's make up to cover up her bruises, though that never lasted long, her mother furious. She had felt so self-conscious at a meek age of four, though any insecurities faded with time.

And so she told her parents that they were right, she'd never understand, because doing that is so much easier than having to tell them and other people that she's not okay.

********

The cafeteria was bustling with students and staff alike, and the delicious scent of food wafted around the room. There was a multitude of seating in the room, like, a lot. Hanako hadn't any money that day, having left it at home. Which was rather unfortunate given that the girl didn't have any breakfast, and the dinner she had the previous night was a box of sushi from the supermarket she worked at.

So now she was weaving her way around people in the crowded cafeteria, already having had two teachers telling her to put her tie on.

(How can she do that if she doesn't know where it is? She lost it on the first day.....)

She had found her target sat alone at a rather desolate table that even Hanako didn't know existed. The only telling that it was him was the purple hair that stuck up.

"Troll Doll, hello!" Hanako said, dragging out the 'o' in hello.

"It's Shinso."

"I know, but names are so confusing."

"What are you doing here?" He asked in the most bored tone one could muster, he really wasn't one to be swayed, was he?

"I'm here because you looked lonely, plus, I like your hair." Hanako said, helping herself to a seat next to the boy. Hanako hadn't noticed, but the boy looked obviously uncomfortable from the social interaction, and Hanako's...... personality? Well no one knew what it was, but what Shinso knew was that no one had wanted to sit with him at lunch in an extremely long time. And even if it was this girl that did it first, he was somewhat grateful.

Hanako had already considered him a friend because- "I think we'd be great friends because you seem like the kind of person who wants to overthrow the government, and I'm totally up for that."

Shinso really tried hard to not spit out his food, "Wha-"

"Okay, let me explain, you declared war or something on our class before you were apart of it, right?-" The boy nodded cautiously along "- Yeah! And considering I've already made an attempt to overthrow our class' hierarchy and failed, I would say that you'd be more than willing to help." Hanako looked at him expectantly, as if she was waiting for something.

"And your name is?"

"Oh, right, Yamikumo Hanako."

"Okay, Yamikumo, we'll overthrow the class government together." Shinso's tone may have been that of slight mockery, but Hanako didn't seem to care as she pumped both fists into the air in celebration.