28

Katsuki can remember multiple times in his life where he's had regrets, and only a few of them had ever been vocalised. One of the biggest regrets he would ever come to have would be telling Deku to kill himself.

Now, he physically didn't understand how his past self could stoop that low. But it wasn't just that, past Katsuki hadn't experienced the things he had now, and those things changed him for the better.

Or that's what they say, hm?

Truth is, Katsuki put Deku through those kind of situations from when they were young, and of course they were nearly as life threatening, but the same logic still applies. The frightening and painful experiences he put Deku through changed him. It made Deku more aware of things, to be grateful for the things he has, and the things he'd come to have.

So what I'm really trying to say is that Katsuki forced Deku to mature earlier. 

Of course everyone matures, that's how life works for the most part, and Katsuki had begun to mature significantly once getting into UA, but the camp, that really did force him to grow up more than he wanted. He was forced to realise the reality of being a hero, even if that was slightly proven at the USJ, no one was really hurt there. But at camp? People were severely injured, and hell, at Kamino, one of his closest friends died for a moment.

That's when he had more regrets than he could count. Many of them were common, being upset because he wasn't able to do this or that, but it wasn't just her death that gave him an insight to who he'd become, it was whilst he was kidnapped. 

Finding out what Hanako had lived through her whole life, he wouldn't admit it, but he wished he could help. And he still did for the most part, it just takes guts to help someone, and as of now, he didn't really have that. His mind was messed up, and he'd been more jumpy and scared that he could ever recall.

So when Hanako called in the middle of the night, he was practically having a panic attack the moment his phone's ringtone pierced through the air. Of course he quickly calmed down and answered the phone.

His gut went cold when he realised why she was calling though. But it wasn't only that, his mind created endless paths of 'what if' because of who she was staying with. It just had to be the same people that killed her.

He screamed into his pillow once the call died along with her phone, he knew that she stood no chance out in that weather. He could see the lightning lighting up his room every minute or so, and the rumbles of thunder that left a trail of discomfort throughout his body. But worse was the rain.

He didn't sleep much that night.

********

Something about the cold boring eyes put Hanako at ease. He was very clinical and respectful in the way he went about helping her get dry and undressed. It made Hanako feel safe despite being so exposed. Maybe that's why she started to talk or maybe it was delirium from being so cold, tired, and wet that loosened her lips. Either way, Hanako felt herself speak slowly and quietly, "It was my fault. They just wanted to make it clear that they could still hurt me even though I'm in hero school. They were probably just scared. And then at dinner I said some stupid shit and I don't know if I meant it or not. But then they got really mad, and my dad, he.." Her voice died in her throat.

That caused Aizawa to pause just enough to cause Hanako to panic. Aizawa had allowed her space to talk and say whatever she wanted to while continuing to help her get dry and in clean clothes. But at that last sentence, he paused in his movements for just a second. Hanako started to defend herself and she wasn't sure why. She started rambling out of control.