Chapter 32

Narrator’s P.O.V

People's actions are dictated by their emotions. Some emotions are justified while others are not. The innate bias towards others causes more harm than it does to anything else. Even if your region had a terrible fate at the hands of one person or being, you shouldn't ostracize people who are the same, but didn't do you any harm. This lesson is one not many people get associated with and so continues the cycle again and again.

Hage is one example of that. 500 years ago they were attacked by a demon, but survived because of the first Wizard King. Years later, when a boy was found with seemingly no mana at all, they linked him with that demon and used him to unleash a rage which hadn’t subsided after 500 years.

Even after the child was gone, it took them a long time to realize what they had done. They never admitted that they were wrong, on the contrary, they still justified their actions. Maybe later, in a time of need, they will realize that the same boy they hated would still save them at the end of the day.

~

Sister Lily’s P.O.V

It's been nearly two months since Yuno left for the Capital and he finally sent us a letter. I walked out the front door and towards the village. On the way I was greeted by villagers who’re working using their magic. It's such a peaceful day and it was all thanks to the people who protect us every day, of course Yuno was helping now too.

In the most recent newspaper, it said that a commoner entered the Golden Dawn. Even without any specifics, I know that it's our Yuno. Now that I think about it, Yuno wasn't the only one who wanted to become a Magic Knight. Hmm, what was that brat's name again? Al-, As-... Oh Asta. That thing that kept yapping about becoming wizard King, how long has it been since I've seen him? I'd say eleven years. Yes, since Druout took him away he's probably been locked up in that tower the past eleven years. I can't believe Druout would let him live in our village. So irresponsible, he could've just left that thing to rot in the woods. I know I am a nun but it is my duty to repel demons.

I arrive at the local mail office and picked up our packages, letters and a newspaper on the way. I head back towards the church and I'm greeted by the children who're excited to see what Yuno sent us. I handed out some souvenirs he gave together with some money and opened his letter. I read through it quickly and my eyes widened in shock; the kids wanted to know what the letter said, but this- this is not something they should know. I told them what the majority of the letter was about and went on my way to look for the Father.

How will he react if he sees this? What will Yuno do? What will happen to us?!

I searched the church frantically looking for the Father and as I was about to give up I saw him in the garden. I've finally found the Father as he was about to head out.

"Father, please wait, it's urgent!"

"Oh Sister, what's the matter? Did something happen to the children?"

"No…, that's not it. It's about the letter Yuno sent, it contains some troubling information."

"Could you hand it over to me?"

"Yes, here."

I hand him the letter and waited anxiously.

Father’s P.O.V

Hello, everyone.

How have all of you been recently? I've entered the Golden Dawn squad and I've already finished multiple assignments. Together with this letter you'll receive some money and presents for the little ones.

Goodbye, and hope to see you soon,

Yuno

PS. Sister, Father, something happened when I entered the Capital. I met him, I saw Asta again. He isn't in the grimoire tower nor has he died. He is alive and dangerous, he also got accepted into the Grey Hounds. I'll try to make sure he doesn't come your way, though I can't assure anything.

I wasn’t sure if I read it correctly so I read it again.

And again.

And again.

Until the realization hit me. That brat, that demon without any mana, somehow managed to get strong enough to enter such a powerful squad. If he decided to 'pay us a visit', we'd be done for. How did he even manage to enter the squad? He must've deceived them, there can't be any other explanation.

"Sister, what shall we do?"

"We can't do anything Father, all we can do is pray that he won't target us and if he does come for us, then the magic knights will surely exterminate him."

"Yes, that's all we can do for now"

But, the thought of how powerful that brat had become worries me. Hage Village may face the same danger 500 years ago again.

Narrator’s P.O.V

Unbeknownst to them, one little boy with the faintest memory of that 'demon' had heard it all, from the Father reading the letter to those two sharing their worries. Frankly enough, even with that small memory of said 'demon' he knew they were wrong and he was right. Before the little boy even knew, his decision to have faith in the 'demon' boy over the people who raised him was going to benefit him tremendously. Nash would see that this was the right choice.