Chapter 19

~Time Skip - 10 years later~

Narrator’s P.O.V

It's been quite a while since Asta came to live with Julius and he has developed a lot as both a mage and a person. He became a strong mage who is one of the country’s most valued wizards, earning the respect of the citizens of Clover Kingdom. He is the captain of his own squad, the Grey Hounds, which he started when he was twelve. That didn’t really surprise the Captains as they knew how strong he was and the vision he has to achieve. One week from now will be another Magic Knight’s exam.

Over the years, it became quite boring just to see a bunch of newbies doing the exam so he decided that he'd join them because he was just sick of sitting there and can only observe. Julius would’ve loved this, but he gets scolded by Marx to do his work he kept ditching. He told everyone about his plans at the last captain’s meeting and everyone agreed after a bit of convincing from some wary members. Not only could Asta have his fun, it was also a test of character to see how the participants would react to Asta. Still, Charlotte was very concerned because he-who-must-not-be-named might show up and Asta only responded with,

"Oh he'll definitely come, so don't worry!"

And Surprise!

That only made her worry even more. Rill asked if he could also participate, but was declined by everybody because he'd just destroy the place. He tried asking again but was ultimately ignored by everyone. He pouted and sulked in the corner with a dark cloud forming above his head.

Asta P.O.V

Yes! I can play a bit, but I was a little nervous. I want to know if Yuno has changed since I left. I do hope so as he did he has potential, but his attitude is just like King Kira's, or more like King Obnoxiously Annoying Trash. Compared to him, Yuno’s not as bad as the King's at least. I wonder how the kids are doing even if they didn’t understand what was going on back then. Nash was still a baby so I'm sure he doesn't remember me.

I sighed, thinking about the past really isn't helping me in any way. Dad finally allowed me to stop therapy with JiJi Owen so I don't want to go back immediately. Still, I know I won't explode anytime soon because I am a master at keeping my emotions at bay (You jinxed yourself and foreshadowed at the same time, Great)

I headed back to the squad base, we call ourselves the squad fam, but our official name is the Grey Hounds. The Grey is to honour father's old squad and the Hounds was my second option, at first I wanted something more feline but nothing fit so hounds were the second best option. (Also, most of the colours were taken by the other squads and there weren’t any animals that would suit the colour. And if anyone noticed the pattern between the squad names, 10 points for you). We were located at the West Side of Clover Kingdom, about 10 minutes away from the forest on broom.

As I entered, Leo tackled me into a hug just like his usual boisterous self. Mimosa tried to get him off in a gentle manner while sweat dropping at his iron grip around me and Noelle just babbled on about how that could be a sneak attack and I could've been dead right now. She prattled on until Mimosa decided to use a more direct approach to get Leo off of me. I just laughed at this making them all join in before standing up and going towards my office while being greeted by all of the members. As I entered my office, I sat down in my chair and started writing a report about one of my latest mission and shortly, a little black bird lands on my head with its usual stoic face. It's just sitting there like always, almost like my hair is its nest.

"Hey Nero, do you know who has dinner duty today?"

They look at me with their 'I don't care' eyes and pecks my forehead repeatedly, which resulted in me trying to swat them away like a fly. So that means it's my turn. Again. I quickly finish the report and changed into something more casual. I go downstairs to the kitchen, put on my apron and started cooking. Since our squad is a little recent, servants, cooks or caretakers haven’t been hired yet as we are still adjusting. I make it a policy to do everything ourselves for now.

After a while, I finished. I could hear a certain someone’s stomach grumbles from here and made sure I cooked up enough to feed an army. I ring the bell signalling dinner and everyone comes down, some barrelling down and others still had their sanity. I'd already set the table and everyone was mesmerized by the amount of food as always. I’ve been getting tips on how to make food better from the royal chef and he cries when he eats my cooking now.  Even Charmy-nee gets tears in eyes when she gobbles down on my food. Everybody is chatting happily while eating; some people even playing games. I am sure now, I love my new family.

~ At the border of the Heart and Clover kingdom~

Orion P.O.V

OH I'm so excited! We just made an alliance with the Heart kingdom and we're on our way to the Clover kingdom now. Maybe we'll even find Asta! I want to know what kind of person he's become. I'm sure he looks just as ~fabulous~ as his mother and as manly as me.

I could feel Mikaela burning holes at the back of my head with her eyes at me. Maybe it's because I've been murmuring all this time. No, that can't be it otherwise she would've said something about it.

"That’s it, stop murmuring you idiot, you're making me nervous."

Oh… she said something now. Well now I can't murmur anymore.

"Well Mimi, I'm glad to hear you can still feel nervous; you've become so authoritative that you’re actually scaring me."

I put my hand to my head as I hang upside down on my broom. Mikaela suppresses a laugh and plays along.

"Oh my, is that so? I’ll show you authoritative." There was a hint of slyness in her words that made me shiver a little.

I sit back up and I'm sure I look very flustered since I could feel the heat in my cheeks. I can't even form a sentence right now. Mikaela laughs and Kayla just looks at us like we're children from behind. Which we are at heart.

"Get a room you two. It's so obvious that you can even feel the tension."

We both shut up immediately and Kayla looks so smug afterthat. I fly a bit further ahead with one of the guards while Mikaela goes to the back where the other one is. They both didn't say something, but I can hear them chuckling together with Kayla.

"Bullies…"

That's the only thing I could say at the moment. This is going to be one tiring trip.

Note: Bear in mind that Asta did not know whether or not Nero was a female or male back then, that’s why he refers Nero as ‘they’.