Chapter 23

Orion’s P.O.V

I hurried back to the inn the rest and I were staying at. I bumped into some people on the way, but this news was too important that I can't waste any time to tell this to Mikaela. I ran as fast as I could and arrived in minutes. I was drenched in sweat, but it was worth it if what I learned was true. I walked (more like rushed) up to the front desk and between breaths told the receptionist my room number. She gave me the side eye before confirming what I said, giving me the directions and I dashed off again.

I burst through the door making everyone take a defensive stance. They visibly relaxed when they see it’s me.

“What’s got you so worked up, Orion?” Kayla eyed me wearily

I stared at them intensively and tried to answer in between gasps of breath.

"Huff, huff, Asta! Huff."

They look at me at a lost for words before Mikaela responds carefully.

"Asta? What exactly do you mean Orion, what about Asta?"

"I think I found him. Mikaela we may have found our baby; we may have found our Asta!” I was on the verge of tears at that point. Tears prickled the corner of my eyes, but I was focused on Mikaela.

Nobody spoke, they were still processing what I just said. Mikaela's eyes start to water and her lips quivered. She stands up and lifts me up from the ground spinning me around. I shrieked a little as the rest laughed at my reaction. Usually it’s the other way around, but guess I was too slow.

"So, do you know where he is now?"

I look down and my eyes meet with Kayla's. I then remember I left before talking to the child. I face-palmed and dragged my hand down. That’s why Mikaela and Kayla think I’m an idiot.

"Well it's kind of funny actually, ahaha… When I heard his name it felt like time slowed down and before I knew it, I ran away. Anyways, can’t we just use magic to track him?”

"Your highne-"

"Orion"

I cut Michael off before he could continue. I just don't like formal titles.

"Okay, your hig-, I mean Orion, if you want us to track him we need something he owns and her highness can't track him because his mana is always fluctuating, making him untraceable."

"Well what if we ask Julius? I'm sure the kid passed the exams, so he must be in one of the squads." I was practically throwing out any ideas I could think of, no matter how stupid. All I cared about was seeing my son again.

"We could, Marx said that we would meet him in a few days at the 'Captain’s meeting', maybe we could even ask the Captains directly?"

Maybe it's better to wait for that 'Captain’s Meeting' as Mikaela said. It wouldn't do us any good to run around the kingdom without any leads. I sighed in defeat, knowing that there wasn’t much choice.

After we talked some more and had some dinner, we each went to our bedrooms and turned in for the night.

In bed, Mikaela turned to me and placed her hand on my cheek. She caressed gently with her thumb and smiled at me. Though she said nothing I knew exactly what she meant and I wholeheartedly agree. I can't wait to meet my son!

Narrator’s P.O.V

Three people went to bed with the exact same thought, each wanting to find another. One to find out the truth and two wanting to reunite.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~ A few days later ~

Mikaela’s P.O.V

I woke up quite early today, maybe it’s because I'm nervous or excited maybe even both. Today is that so called 'Captain’s Meeting'. I rolled out of bed, not knocking Orion off this time and heard something knocking on the window. It was a magic bird used as a way to easily transport information in the Kingdom of Staria. I opened the window and outstretched my hand as the bird landed, it turned into a letter. The letter was a report on the condition of the kingdom, nothing out of the ordinary. People are happily planning the festival and our affairs are doing good and it seems like nobody is in a frenzy since we haven't returned yet.

I put the letter on our bedside table and took a bath. When I finished, I still see Orion snoring away like nothing happened. I do hope Asta doesn't always sleep in like his father. I gently shake him awake and he started to roll around. He slowly stirs awake and pulls me down in a hug. I struggle out of his grip, occasionally smacking his back and told him to get ready. His eyes shine knowing what day it is and sings a silly song while getting ready. I walk to the living room of our suite and tried to wake up Kayla, but my attempts were pointless as she just turns around and ignores me. I tried again. And again. And again, but she turns and ignores me every time. This girl is really stubborn isn't she.

I picked up a glass of water and drizzle a bit on her fur. She jumps up immediately and shakes off the water, making me wet in the process. I groan and proceed to wake up Michael and Kevin, ignoring the shouts from an angry deer. Michael was talking in his sleep while Kevin somehow managed to get under his bed. After everyone is done getting ready, we head towards the cafeteria downstairs; it's fairly empty because not many people had booked a room. Breakfast was peaceful and with that we depart for the meeting.

Narrator’s P.O.V

For someone else, the morning wasn't as peaceful.

Asta couldn't sleep last night so instead he read books till the next morning until Nero attacked his forehead because he only had thirty minutes left until the meeting started. He quickly got ready and made a few replicas of himself to do the tasks they were given. One ran to the kitchen and saw the people on breakfast duty doing alright and gave them a helping hand. Another finished up his reports and put them in his bag to take with him. Another went to supervise the people sparring and Asta went to do some cleaning. Amazingly, he managed to do it in twenty minutes. At the cost of him looking a little frazzled.

When breakfast was ready, Asta thanked his replicas (like the good boy he is) and said he'd call them again sometime. The only thing he had for breakfast was a cup of coffee before he grabbed his bag to leave. But, something tackled him to the ground and when he turned around, something sweet was then shoved into his mouth.
His eyes widened as he saw a go-happy Leo on top of him. He choked and scrambled up. In his mouth was a small bagel and before him was a proud looking Leo. Behind him was a worried Mimosa.

"Leo, you can't just do that, he might've hit his head!"

"Well, he wouldn't be very strong if he got knocked out by that."

“But can't you agree that As- I mean Captain didn't even eat properly and the only way for him to eat was to force feed him."

Asta swallowed hardly, finally getting the bagel down and stood up while brushing himself off. He knew Leo would get in trouble with the vice-captain for putting up such a show and he was right. Leo was then hoisted up and was thrown around in the air like a ball. An angry shadow was fuming at the entrance of the hall, his purple hair all spiked up, making him look a little demonic. Though Asta was not surprised as this was the norm at nearly every meal. Leo forces him to eat, he gets scolded by Mimosa, Noelle gives a sarcastic remark and he gets tossed around like nothing. Most of the squad members don't even bat an eye to their direction as they're used to it.

Finally, Leo gets set onto the ground and it's clear he's lost his balance from the spirals in his eyes. Asta catches him before he hits the ground and let him lean on his shoulder for a bit. After a little while he goes back to normal, wobbling a little bit as he went to sit down.

"1. Leo stop force feeding me and 2. I'll be gone for quite a while so Kento is in charge until I return. I expect you all to listen to him. If you all understand, then I'll be taking my leave now." All the members then saluted to his direction.

"Safe travels Captain." Kento bid farewell as the doors closed.

Asta stepped outside into the forest, since their base was located a little outside of the Capital and re-adjusted his mask. Leo nearly knocked off his mask and said his name out loud! Most members don’t know who Asta truly is yet besides the people he’s met since childhood and the vice-captain. He deserved to get thrown this time. Before Asta teleports to the meeting, he feels a weight land on top of my head. Asta chuckled and reached into his bag and pull out some nuts and lay them on top of his head while feeling some light pecking.

“Phew! They didn't attack my head. That means Nero is satisfied with how this morning went. At least my head is still intact…”

Asta took one step forward and then appeared inside of the meeting room. Since he was the first to arrive, he pulled out a book and silently waited for the other captains to come in. Somehow, he got the feeling that this meeting would take an unexpected turn.