Chapter 9 - Life Is Fair

Mikaela's P.O.V

I sighed as I rubbed my head in frustration, I need to go back home and tell Orion about this. I thought that if I left him behind at a church he would get taken care of, but that turned out to be wrong. I can't imagine how heartbroken Orion will be when I tell him this, he already thinks Asta is on his way with me.

As I sit on my broom flying over the witch's forest I wonder if the queen remembers the legend. I snicker at the thought, even if she has lived over a hundred years, I doubt she knows about it. My mind wanders as my body automatically directs the broom the right way. As I exit the land of the four kingdoms, I start to get a little sleepy. I let out a yawn as I slowly began to land. I placed my broom against a tree and started a fire. Reaching for my bag, I pulled out a knife and closed my eyes as I focused on my hearing. Suddenly, I heard a branch break and I whipped my head around. I throw my knife towards the sound and hear a yelp, so I walk towards the direction I threw my knife at and see a deer lying on the ground with the knife sticking out of its leg. I took out my knife and looked at the deer, it looked back at me straight in the eyes. The deer looked at me so intensely that I swear if it could speak, it would've said 'Kill me, I dare you'.

Letting out a sigh, I carried it back to the fire where I treated its wound and fed her some bread. It was a female because it had no antlers, so now I don't have to address her as it. I looked back at her and started speaking.

"You better be grateful because I just saved your life. You owe me and you'll have to work for me from now on."

She turned her head and kicked her leg back. I swear to God she's so ungrateful.

"I can still eat you y'know so I wouldn't be so sassy if I were you."

She made a noise and attempted to stand on her own, but of course the wound hadn't healed yet and she fell.

"I can't believe I'm talking to an animal. You know what? I think I have a spell for you."

"Holy magic: Speech of the Gods"

"There you can speak now, just like humans do."

The deer snorted. "Does this human really think that's possible? That's hilario-"

"Told ya so, now what's your name?"

"Hmph, you can call me ma'am"

"I asked for your name. Or do you really want to die today?" Annoyance was dripping in my tone.

"Alright Alright! Jeez, my name is Kayla and I'm 17."

"That's better. I'm Mikaela and I'm 25. Do you have a family?"

"No, they were all slaughtered". Her head dipped a little and her eyes became distant, sadness evident in her eyes.

"I'm sorry to hear that."

"And what about you"

"Well I have my husband, but I've lost my son, he hasn't died but I just haven't seen him in four years." My heart clenched at what I said, I really do miss him.

"That's awful, so are you searching for him now?"

"Yes, that was the point of this trip, but he wasn't at the place I left him at and I can't use my magic to track him since his mana and ki is unusual. And he could be anywhere at this point! Not only that, but the people I left him with were absolutely horrible, I mean come on, who teaches a child that they are better than everyone when they're four? And the nerve they had, saying that that kid was my son because of non-existent resemblances! That priest needs his eyes checked or rather, he needs to get new ones. Old age probably made his eyesight go blurry, or maybe that's how he was born."

I rubbed my temple as I ended my rant. Kayla sighed and cleared her throat.

"I may be a deer, but I'll do whatever I can to help you find your son." She bowed her head towards me.

"Thank you." I let out a yawn and my eyes were beginning to feel heavy. "It's getting late now, I think it's time we get some rest."

"Yeah" Kayla lied down on her side. "Good night."

"Good night"

I close my eyes as I sink into darkness. I just befriended a deer (or more like I nearly killed her and made her in debt to me) and made a new ally. What an exciting evening I had. Maybe this trip wasn't as bad as I thought.

Orion's P.O.V

I sit in my office finishing up the reports the captain of the army gave me. I stood up and walked out into the garden. The moon was shining brightly in the night sky, reflecting through the glass, the flowers were illuminated by the moonlight. A small breeze came by, making the flowers sway slightly like a dance. Cicadas were chirping everywhere and fireflies flew about in the garden. I took off my crown and looked at the crystals embedded in it, each representing a moral from generations of our family. Tears welled up in my eyes as I walked deeper into the garden reminiscing the fond memories I had. After a while, I made it to the center of the dome. As I sat down, I picked up a flower without looking and chuckled at how ironic it was. A pink carnation, just the flower that I was thinking of. Oh Asta, please don't forget about us and please don't hate us for leaving you alone. I hope you can forgive us one day...

My son.