Chapter 4

Narrator pov

It was the last night of the journey and gramps decided not to camp and instead put asta on the carpet and let him sleep while he flew the last part of the journey.

The night was a beautiful one, the sky was a deep king's blue while the stars shimmered like diamonds. Gramps was satisfied with his decision as he flew to his destination. It was in the woods close to the center of clover kingdom.

He heard the owls hoot as they communicated and every little sound made by the inhabitants of the woods would flow into his ears. The smell of the wood was calming as the cold breeze brushed by him.

He arrived. His destination right before him, but he was being stopped by guards. He expected it as this was the base of the Grey deer. The magic knight squad lead by the person he considers a son Julius Novachrono. As he was about to explain who he was and why he was there, but he was tackled by the one and only Julius. The guards were confused by the scene in front of them, but quickly helped the two men up. Julius invited gramps inside and as they were walking through the corridors gramps realized something.

He forgot asta outside!

He gasped at the realization, he was so caught up with Julius he forgot the child on the flying carpet. He turned around abruptly and ran back outside, as he opened the door he felt a gust of wind hit his face. He looked at the direction it came from and saw asta playing with the guards, it was a heartwarming sight to behold. Asta asking questions about their magic while they showed him a little bit of it.

As gramps walked closer he cleared his throat to get their attention, when asta noticed him he ran upto him and hugged his leg.

Gramps pov

"gramps those nice guys showed me super cool stuff, like wind and fire magic. And they said that they work good with each other because their magic compliments each other, that means that the wind magic helps the fire magic become even stronger."

As I listened to the little pipsqueek's enthusiastsic rant, I gave the guards a gratefull glance. They nodded and went back to their posts. I felt a hand on my shoulder and a light cough. I turned around and saw Julius standing behind me, he looked down at asta and back at me with a questioning look. I said I would explain everything when asta would fall asleep.

And oh did it take long, asta had enough energy to stay up questioning Julius for
Three hours straight. Eventually he collapsed from exhaustion and we placed him on the couch in Julius' office.

Narrator pov

"sooo who's the little kid pops" Julius said with a questioning glance towards gramps. Gramps sighed a sad sigh and shook his head, "where should I start". "at the beginning" Julius joked, but he wouldn't be happy with what he would hear.

Gramps pov

"okay, so that boy there is named asta. He was left at the church when he was a baby he never knew his family. As time went on people thought he had no mana, so they considered him the reincarnation of the demon that the first wizard King defeated. People feared him so they started hurting him verbally and physically, and it didn't get better when the one he was found with was considered a prodigy. He was forced to do all the labor around the church like getting all the wood, cleaning the place and making the fire. He never got a day off and if he did something wrong he would be punished. He considered the boy who he was found with his brother, but the boy just ignored him and once it was time he betrayed him but we'll get to that later. A few months ago I saw something, it was a tremendous display of power. Asta was getting beat by these boys and he ran away into the forest his speed and agility alone was already very impressive at his age of four. But as I was saying when asta went into the forest the boys followed, but it went bad quickly the boys were surrounded by wolves and asta jumped out of a tree onto the head of one of the wolves. The boys ran away leaving asta there and before I could help him a wolf had jumped on him and scratched him. The screams were horrific as slowly he was laying in a pudlle of blood his own blood. The sight of his lifeless body just made me feel horrible I couldn't help him and with an adrenaline rush through my body I cut of the tail of one wolf. The wolves circled around me about to attack when a bright light shone, asta was floating slowly recovering after awhile he stood before us eyes red. His mana could be felt from miles away, a shiver went down my spine asta was terrifying the wolves backed up and ran away. Asta collapsed on the ground, I brought him back to the church and when I far away I heard a faint scream. I decided to keep an eye on asta since that incident and I've seen how horrible those people treated him, so that's why I decided to bring him here. Now about the boy whom he considered his brother that boy as I said never acknowledged asta and as a result never really hurt him, but before I took asta away he laughed with the others about asta leaving and that pained asta severely. But there is one more thing I need to say to you, but on one condition if you know this information will you adopt asta."

"of course I will he's such a wonderful boy and I would like to give him a better childhood from now on." Julius said that with a genuine smile plastered on his face. I'm sure this will be a great decision.

"what I will tell you is something you cannot tell anyone else. Asta has already gotten his grimoire and it has six leaves."

Julius looked at me with a shocked expression after processing the information I pulled out the grimoire from my bag and handed it to Julius to look at. His eyes were sparkling, but there's still something we need to talk about.

" Julius I told you about what happened to asta with the wolves, but if that happens again how will we stop him and how do we prevent him from going berserk."

"well I think it only happens when all of his bottled up feelings over flow or to say it differently when they are 100%. But I promise to keep him in check believe in me pops."

"i do believe in you I just can't stop worrying"

"y'know what we'll talk about this further tomorrow, I'll show you to your room, c'mon follow me pops."