Chapter 26

Asta’s P.O.V

The meeting ended and everyone already left except for me, dad and the guests. I already know where the pendant originated from, but now it just created more questions. How have I never heard of this country which could oppose the warriors from the North and come out on top? And why did I vaguely know that pendant design? I stood up and walked towards this Orion dude, I tapped him on his shoulder and he turned my way. I gave him his pendant back that he left in the alcove and was about to leave when my arm was yanked and I fell on the ground. I scrambled back up and saw big sparkling eyes staring at me and honestly it creeped me out. Sadly, I couldn't escape his grasp and just stood there beside him, I guess I'll have to make my workouts more extreme. I never thought anyone would beat me in physical strength besides Yami, guess I got too cocky.

"Um You-"

"You can call me Orion!"

Before I finished my sentence he interrupted me with a big grin and when he was done he gave me a big thumb up. I heard a smack to my right and saw Mikaela face palming. She married this idiot? Must’ve seen something interesting to marry him.

"Okay, um, Orion... might I ask why you are grabbing my arm?"

"Ah oops, I just had a question for you."

"Uh... okay shoot."

"Okay, so I was with Julius at the Magic Knight’s Exam and I want to know about the kid that joined your squad."

He wants to know about me? And why? It's not like I did anything special, those were pretty weak spells, well the hammer is debatable, but still.

"I'm not allowed to release my squad member’s personal information. If you must know about him, then you can ask him himself."

"Does that mean you can arrange a meeting with him for me?" I swear the sparkle in his eyes got even brighter.

"No, now if you'll excuse me, I have some work to do."

I gently yanked my arm signaling that I wanted him to let me go, he released his grasp on me and I walked out. What do those people want with me? Welp, first I need to hand in my reports and then I'll spar with Mereo. I just hope she won't burn any of my clothes because I don't want to replace another outfit.

Orion’s P.O.V

Well he wasn't very helpful, but maybe Julius knows something. Let's use the puppy strategy, that’s how I got away from work scot free. I did my best puppy face a with a few fake tears and looked at Julius.

"Hey Julie? Do you anything about that ash blonde haired kid named Asta?"

Julius tried his very best and to be fair he's doing fairly good, but nobody can withstand this, not even Mikaela.

"Ah! how do you do that?! Fine! Asta is my son."

Wait what.
.
.
SON?!

No, I am sure that was our Asta. It can't be- it just can't! I look at Mikaela and she looks just as disheartened as me.

"So what you're saying that child was your offspring?" My voice turned hollow, but he doesn’t know the pain I’m feeling.

"Whoa there. why do you want to know?"

"No reason. Well, we have to go now as the meeting has already ended. Goodbye."

We stood up and left the room with the atmosphere heavy. I’m pretty sure Julius felt something off too. Even though he said Asta was his son, I'm not convinced. I'm just not, something does feel off about this whole Asta situation.

Narrator’s P.O.V

Meanwhile at the Grey Hounds hideout, chaos is having a party. One of the squad members who had to feed the chickens, (yes they have chickens because Charmy really likes cooking different cuisines), left the cage open and the chickens snuck into the hideout. At first nobody noticed, but when someone stepped in some freshly made chicken poop and slipped people started to notice what the chickens had done. How no one heard the clucking of chickens is a mystery, but they’re louder than first season’s Asta screaming. One person went to look at the chicken coop and as expected nearly all of them had escaped except the lazy ones.

The vice-captain called everyone who was present to the main hall and made five teams, four of them were tasked with catching the chickens while the other one was on clean up duty. They always got close to catching them, but it seemed like those chickens had combat training because they always pecked at the most painful spots. The chickens kicked, pooped, pecked and pulled also making a strategy of their own to oppose the humans. But before this could continue, Kento had enough and the chickens sensed it. His annoyance made the chickens quietly return to the cave on their own, but it didn't clean up the mess they made. Some people even used multiple spells to trap the chickens, but to no avail. They spent several hours cleaning up and getting people out of the chicken traps until the whole hideout was shining. This incident will forever be known to the newbies as 'The Great Chicken Revolution'. Also known as ‘what happens if the Captain is out of the base and the squad are total idiots.’

Now back to Asta

He went to the training grounds which he and Mereoleona often used. As expected Mereoleona was already there waiting for him. He called out her name and right after he finished his sentence he nearly got hit in the face with a fireball.

Asta’s P.O.V

Of course she would do that. Ugh, and I wanted to set some rules too. I jumped back and pulled out my sword and you might be thinking, 'when did he learn to use a sword?'. Well, some old dude with a stripping habit (Not Gray) in the woods taught me when I was walking around the forest and he ran in my direction with boars chasing him. He was a very good teacher, a little eccentric but a good swordsman. Sadly, I haven't seen him since my training. I'm still learning and Yami is teaching me how to use a katana. But back to the fight at hand…

Mereoleona launched herself quickly with her fist pulled back engulfed in flames. When her fist was about to make contact, I blocked it with my sword, the impact was devastating that I felt the vibration of it. She then prepared her other arm for and uppercut, but I dodged out of the way, doing an aerial before swinging my sword across. It almost hit her, but she jerked her head away from my katana, only cutting off a few strands of her hair. We then jumped back, putting some distance between each other. Mereoleona looked like she was having a lot of fun, after all, she is the Uncrowned Undefeated Lioness. Once again, we launched ourselves at each other, exchanging a flurry of swings and blows. I got a few burn marks and bruises in that confrontation, but Mereoleona had some cuts on her as well. It was then she threw an uppercut to my stomach that I went flying up, the wind knocked out of me before she appeared above and slamming her fist down at the back of my head. I crashed into the ground with a massive headache and a possible fractured skull, but it ain’t a real fight if bones aren't cracked in Mereoleona’s case. Of course after getting back up, I returned the favour by speeding past her while unleashing a number of slashes which tore some of her clothes a little and giving her some gashes on her arms. Mereoleona looked surprised for a moment before breaking out a huge grin and we continued to fight from there.

The aftermath of the battle wasn’t too severe, me and Mereoleona were holding back and barely used any magic. The only lasting damage are the trees and some small craters on the ground. Mereoleona gave me a shit-eating grin before just abruptly jumping on her broom and flew off, only giving a two finger salute. Honestly, she’s so scary yet I admire her so much. How does one be scared and love someone at the same time? (me). This day has sure been tiring, let’s see what tomorrow holds.