Chapter 24

Asta’s P.O.V

I was lounging on the chair while Nero was napping on my head after they finished eating. The first one who entered was Nozel and his mood got worse if that's even possible. Maybe his magic should’ve been ice to match his personality, but steel also reflects it considering his steely persona. The room's temperature dropped a bit as I continued reading. What's his problem? It's not my fault Noelle didn't talk to him once in these past eleven years. I wanted to annoy him about that and I had the perfect plan, I smiled at him through the only visible parts of my mask.

"So… Noelle still hates you. What a surprise! I was sure she'd forgive you for neglecting her after eleven years. Guess even I can be wrong. And I thought I’ve met terrible siblings but hey! That literal definition is you and your siblings minus Noelle."

"Listen here you little-"

He slammed his fists on the table and stood up, but before he could continue, Charlotte entered. I know I said I didn't want to start a fight with him (wait I didn’t say that but he does deserve it), but I was bored. Charlotte takes the seat next to me and continues where I left off.

"Little what? Are you still salty about the whole Noelle situation? That situation is the perfect example of 'your actions have consequences' and in your case, your inaction had consequences."

Oof, this guy’s about to be barbequed if Charlotte continues her roast. She is straight up savage and her deadpan expression really adds fuel to the fire. No wonder Yami and Mereoleona took an interest to her. I heard Nozel grit his teeth and decided to change the subject before this guy gets burned to a crisp. Either by Charlotte’s remarks or Mereoleona’s flames.

"Hey Charlotte-nee, how are things with Yami and Mereoleona? I heard Yami is slowly realizing what Mereo is doing and doesn't like it. Maybe he’ll finally get through the dense wall that is his head?"

Nozel sat back down, knowing it would be useless to continue arguing. And plus, his pride would get even lower if he tried to fight against an argument he knows he’ll lose. Charlotte’s face turned red as a tomato and began stuttering with a shocked face. (Like how she looks when Yami came to visit her after the whole Elf incident)

"W-what are you talking about Asta! N-nothing is happening between us and even if what you're saying is true, Yami has Vanessa and Mereoleona is a free spirit!"

Before I could respond, we heard two voices in unison speak.

"What about me?"

We looked to the door seeing Yami, Mereoleona and Fuegoleon walk in. Yami and Mereo asked the same question looking in our direction. Charlotte's face exploded with her brain now on fire from the thought that they might have heard her while trying to compose herself. Yami and Fuego went to their seats while Mereo took Dad's seat. None of us objected because nobody would like a flaming paw on their head. Or on their face.

Another couple of minutes passed and Rill rolled in and I mean quite literally while being kicked by Jack. He looked quite annoyed while Rill had swirls in his eyes. Jack took his seat and Rill being stuck in what seems like his blanket kind of stood on his seat.

"So Nozel, why is your hair like-"

Before Rill could finish his sentence he was interrupted by a loud pop, I already knew who it was as she had arrived together with the other two. They turned their heads in her direction and saw Dorothy 'sleeping' in her chair. As they found the source of the sound Rill continued.

"As I was Nozel why does your hair look like that. It looks like your head pooped on your forehead! Are you trying to make a fashion statement? Do you make the braid yourself or let a servant do it for you? Do you sleep with it? How is that cross attached to it?" Rill rambled on with Nozel giving him a death glare.

"Can I slash him?"

You can already guess who said that. Only one person specialises in slashing in this room.

"Yes"

"No"

"Partially"

EVERYONE looked at me for my weird response.

"You can slash his cocoon, but that's it Jack."

He smiled at me and freed Rill from his prison. Rill slumped down in his chair and before he could speak again, Nozel used his magic to cover his mouth.

We had a friendly conversation going on until Gueldre entered even though the others didn't know he was a traitor like I did, but they still had their doubts about him. The only reason why I haven’t told anyone is because I don’t have concrete evidence and I can’t just ask Marx to look at a Captain’s memories. And plus, even if I did accuse him outright, this is a Magic Knight’s Captain which would make my claim very unbelievable as they are tasked with protecting the country. He sat down looking around the table before he made a comment.

"So, it seems like William hasn't arrived yet."

"It seems so."

After that we all just kept quiet. Once in a while someone coughed, other than that, it was incredibly awkward. Finally, like a heaven sent angel, William arrived. I jumped out of my chair and hugged him.

"You beautiful man you're finally here. Oh thank-"

"*Ahem* Asta could you let me go, please?"

"Ah yes, Sorry."

I let him go and we both took our seats.

"So William, do you know who we're going to meet today?"

I look up at him with curious eyes, but he shakes his head.

"No, I don't know any more than the rest of you"

"Maybe they're some rich people wanting the knights as their personal guard dogs."

Mereo spoke up. I shook my head. Sometime I wonder why she’s here even though Fuegoleon is here. Maybe she’s bored and has nothing better to do. Or maybe it’s to see a certain someone.

"Something like that wouldn't warrant for it to be one of our main points of discussion."

Everyone gave a nod while Gueldre's eyes shined at the mention of them being rich. He could at least try hiding his greed better. The rest of our time was spent guessing who could be our guests.

And after waiting for 20 minutes, Dad finally arrived with our mysterious guests. Four people and a deer, wait what? A deer?! But one thing piqued my interests; my hair is partially hidden by my mask except for a few strands. That woman though, the bottom part of her was the same ash-blonde colour as mine.

"These people are here representing the Kingdom of Staria. The Queen, Mikaela Staria, the King, Orion Staria, their guards Michael and Kevin and their companion Kayla."

Wow, the deer actually has a name. They introduced themselves before taking the seats placed there for them. Kayla just stood behind Mikaela looking a little bored. Dad was about to sit down, but Mereoleona wouldn't move. I sighed, using the only plan I had to make her move.

"Hey Mereo, if you move, we can spar later."

"Oh you're on A- sorry, Grey."

I may seem paranoid, but I don't like it when people know my identity if I don't know them and everyone knows that, even Nozel respects me and doesn't say my name in public.

She stands up and goes to sit on Yami's lap. He tried to object, but she already put her paw on his head. He nodded his head and lit up one of his cigarettes. I don't know who Mereoleona is aiming for anymore to be honest and Charlotte seems to like this scene since she's even blushing. These people have a weird love triangle thing going on. Or maybe Mereoleona just likes being bold. I nudge Char and whistle; she immediately puts a hand on my mouth to shut me up. I lick her hand and she pulls away and before it gets out of hand, Dad officially takes his seat and the meeting begins.