Happy New Year + Authors' Note

New years special.

Back when Asta was still living in Hage, his only dream was to celebrate the New year with everyone. He saw Sister Lily preparing baked goods together with some of the younger children while Yuno decorated the church with his wind magic. From a distance, he saw sparkling lights coming from over the horizon.

It looked like so much fun, but he couldn't join in. Even though he was excluded everyday, it hit him even harder on days like this.

He didn't care much for birthdays or festivals, but New years is something you're supposed to celebrate with your family and friends and this just proved that he had neither.

It wasn't until he was adopted by Julius that he got to experience the wonders of it. At first he just sat in his room as that was what he was used to. Looking from afar, never getting any closer no matter how hard he tried, but now it was different.

Julius barged into his room and got him dressed to a T, they were heading out!

Asta by now was as confused as he could get; they went to the base of the Grey Deer. There everyone was ready. Ready for what you and Asta might ask? Well of course ready for the show! It's a tradition that every squad will put up a show for the New year's and the specialty of the Grey Deer was light shows!

They quickly departed, heading to the capital. The excitement got to Asta's head and to calm himself down, he decided that he'd walk ahead. Lightly jogging through the capital he saw people drink, laugh and celebrate. He even got offered a lizard on a stick, though Julius tried to stop him, he had already gobbled it down. This felt like a dream, he wasn't separated from them anymore, he got to join them!

Suddenly, bright lights shone in their faces as they arrived at the castle. All the other squads had gathered and were waiting for the sign to start. And just like that it began.

The Silver Eagles performed a beautiful free flowing ballet just like the flow of mercury and water. At the end of their performance, a dragon erupted from the middle roaming through the crowd and the town before disappearing and leaving only tiny droplets of Nozel's mercury behind.

The Blue Roses displayed a beautiful fight between beauty and strength and how they could co-exist such as the likes of a blue rose. It got Asta pumped because he wanted to be as good in combat as them while looking as graceful.

The Green Mantis and the Coral Peacock worked together for their show. Since the Green Mantis was more focused on flexibility while they fought and the Coral Peacocks were 'less active', they put together an acrobatics show. The Peacocks would provide the Mantis’ with big bouncy bubbles, swinging ropes and more with their magic the Mantis could show the crowd just how flexible they really were. When they were done, they put up a little side area in which they'd let children try it with some supervision. Asta did want to go, but he also wanted to finish watching the show so he just wished they were still doing it at the very end.

Though Asta didn't know much about the Purple Orcas he did see a diversity in the magic they used for the show. It was kind of like a game where you bet on who'll win. Though Julius stopped Asta from actually betting, Asta's prediction was correct. He had a feeling the fire-y guy would win against the masked man; it was just a gut feeling and he always trusts his gut! It was quite fun seeing all the different ways people used their magic and unique fighting styles. In the end an ice guy won which he didn't think was logical, but who knows.

The Crimson Lions put on a fantastical fire spectacle. They juggled with it, ate it, wrote with it, anything you can imagine they did! It felt cozy and looked incredible, they even showed some different coloured flames. And at the end of their performance one of their squad members Fuegoleon had a big lion prance around the crowd and flick its tail back and forth before sitting down and dissipating in a million tiny flames. Asta did think it was weird how two squads coincidentally had two big animals, but maybe they planned it together?

And lastly the lights he saw from over the horizon were right in front of him. He held on tightly to the broom as they flew through the sky. The squad uses their magic to make these mesmerizing wonders and Julius slows down the lights as they sparkle away. He promised himself to never forget what he saw that day, that wonderful new years day.

This year, it's finally his turn with the Grey Hounds behind him; they were going to make something just as spectacular. It would be wonderful enough for a young Asta to feel that joy again and again and again until he was full of it.

Authors' note

So yeah it's been a year. Didn't feel that long. Happy new Years and such. I kinda didn't want to write anymore for a while, but that is over. We've even had ideas of an original story, so I hope whoever's left will support us for that. Hope you enjoyed this new chapter in a new style and bye. ~ Soumy