Chapter 40

Marx’s P.O.V

Julius had set me up with a mission, it was quite nostalgic. I remember always being bossed around by him when the Grey Deer was still around. This mission was quite simple, all I had to do was tap into Gueldre's obvious greed and make him tell me his possible involvement in this attack. Make a move, reindeer games…

We were tasked to be an offense team, yet we've been avoiding every enemy encounter. He also isn't even trying to help when his members do fight an enemy, speaking of which, they’re now trying to help people escape from a mob of corpses. Now is my chance.

"Hello Gueldre"

"Oh, ah, hello Marx..."

"I've heard that you've been gaining a lot of money recently, I envy you. Though I work directly for Julius, he does not give me a salary worthy of my work."

"That is horrible!"

"Yes, though I've found out a way to get myself what I deserve."

"Hm?"

Bingo

"You see, though he's the Wizard King he isn't very smart. He'll let me do all his work resulting in me knowing and in reach of information that I should not know."

"What kind of information?"

"Information about many things, but one file was about his suspicion of you and how you could be a mole."

"T-that’s ridiculous! Why would I-"

"You can drop the act; I did some digging myself. You are the mole and you're also a contributor to this attack. I'd like to make a deal with you, what do you say?"

He seems to be weighing the pros and cons in his head. This would've been harder if I did not have some genuine complaints about Julius, that man should learn to be more responsible and careful. For all he knows I could also be a traitor. But the only way to get his head out of his ass is gold bars.

I looked back at Gueldre and I could see that he had concluded. This guy would do anything for money or at least a leg up in the competition.

"If I do make this deal with you, what would you want in return?"

"I'd like 50% of what you're getting for this invasion, a permanent alliance and a connection to your boss."

"Ha! You really think you're getting fifty? Fifteen then we have a deal"

"You think you can scam me? Thirty-five."

"I did all the work; all you have to do is not yap your mouth. You're getting twenty."

"But we do have to be fair right? Thirty, that's all I'm asking for."

"Twenty-five and that's the last offer on the table or I could blame all of this on you"

"Ah, then let's hope for a long allegiance from here on out. Shake on it?"

Gueldre took my hand and with that, I had completed my mission. This was disappointingly easy, it was like gambling, but you wouldn't lose either way you could only win. Well, I shouldn't be complaining, I did what I was meant to do and now I have confirmed our suspicions. After all, I am a man with no worth.

The two team members returned; they didn't even question why their captain just stood there and didn't step a foot in to help them. Guess they're used to being disappointed by this sentient marshmallow.

~

Narrator's P.O.V

Every team had their hands full dealing with the enemy. Countless battles were going on, but just like that, the enemy had stopped moving completely. Many of them were confused, some were relieved while others were still alert.

Nobody had left their assigned quarters until they were completely sure that there was no way the enemy would return. They scattered around to make sure that everyone was safe and sound.

When that was done they all went back towards the castle and waited to report to Julius and get to understand the circumstances of the invasion.

Julius’s P.O.V

After I had dropped off Fuegoleon and Orion by Owen I went back to the castle. This will be a long meeting. I wonder if Asta will attend? I doubt so, today hasn't been his best. Maybe he'd want to stay over with me for a while to get back on his feet.

Oh, I need to start preparing for the paperwork that needs to be done for repairs, compensation, labour, and burials. Mereoleona also needs to be informed about the current state of her brother. Aah, my head is already hurting from all the thinking. Sometimes I even wonder how I became the Wizard King. (Merit, you said it yourself)

I arrived back at the banquet hall seeing that everybody had returned safely, well mostly everybody. I tell everyone that I'd only like for the captains, Marx and Mereoleona to stay and that the rest could go on and rest after what just happened.

They left and I sat down on my seat, everyone who was left also slumped their shoulders in exhaustion.

"You did well considering how fast you all had to react to this crisis, this will not go unrewarded. Now we have to discuss who was behind the attack."

I see Gueldre tense up a bit after I mention that, can he not be any more suspicious? Marx had already informed me of his findings when I was on my way here, but come on!

"It seems that it was caused by a terrorist group called the Eye of the Midnight Sun. This certainly wasn't their first attack. On a joined mission between the Black Bulls and the Grey Hounds where they went out to a Village in the forsaken realm they seem to have encountered them before."

"What correlation do the Capital and a village have that they'd attack both?" asked Charlotte.

"That's a simple answer, a magic stone. The magic stone from the village has been handed off to me and securely safeguarded, but the magic stone they were after today was taken by them. Not only did they take the magic stone, but they also put Fuegoleon in a coma and amputated his arm. I'm sorry I couldn't stop them or protect him, but because he's currently out of duty we need a replacement captain. Mereoleona, would you be up for the job?"

I could see the rage building up in both Mereo and Nozel, they both lost somebody very close to them today. The fact that they're still standing here and not going after them shows me that they're determined to find a definite way to find them.

"Well, what other option do I have? My younger brother was too weak to protect himself and now he's pushed his duties onto me. I'll give him a boot camp of hellfire when he's awake, he'd wish he was still in that coma! Our enemies should be aware, after all, I am the storm that is approaching..."

I could tell that this was hurting her more inside despite the harsh words.

"We should also start looking into their activities and search for magic stones ourselves. Though we don't know what they'll do with them, we'll have to stop them from seeing that 'wondrous dawn of the new world™'"

"And now for the main course of this meeting. Marx, could you be so kind?"

"Of course sir."

Marx handed me the magic tool I had him put on when he was with Gueldre and was ready to project the recorded footage.

"Are you ready Gueldre?"

Author’s Note

IT’S EARLY CHRISTMAS SO LINE UP TO GET YOUR PRESENTS. 4 chapters delivered by Marvel & Soumy. Get your fill of it now.

Also, brownie points to whoever can name all the references I made through all the chapters.