Chapter 14

Orion’s P.O.V

Mikaela is home, oh my sweet Mikaela is finally home. I've missed her so bad; she's been gone for nearly two months. Ooh I can't wait to see Asta, I still remember his chubby baby cheeks and that ecstatic personality like a little firecracker. I’m assuming they've bonded over the trip back, then it’s my turn for some father-son bonding time. We could play catch, do magic, teach him new spells… Deep breaths Orion calm down, you’re a grown-up man, a king as well. Just remember the first time you held him in your hands. Remember that feeling of happiness and bring it to the present. Just walk through the door, it's as easy as swinging a sword.

Narrator’s P.O.V

As Orion kept muttering to himself with his eyes closed, his body moved on his own and when he finally opened his eyes he was at the balcony of his room. He saw Mikaela's silhouette from high up and he did what he always did: Jump off the balcony to try and surprise her like any sane husband would do…not, but it seems like Mikaela already knew what was going to happen and she side-stepped. Unfortunately, he hit the ground, but rest assured as Orion has a head of steel! But he has a brain of glass which he breaks frequently.

As he stood up, he immediately engulfed Mikaela in a loving hug. To say he loved her was an understatement, he loved her that even the greatest evils cannot keep them apart. Their love is special and something that happens once in a blue moon. After a minute of their hug he felt his shirt soaking up, he lifted Mikaela's head up and saw her sobbing and shivering. He wasn't such an idiot and he already knew what that meant, he pulled her closer rubbing her back whispering sweet nothings to her trying to calm her down. He could cry later; his first priority was to make his wife feel better. He picked her up and walked inside; he already saw Kayla and kinda understood what happened between those two judging by how she looks. He ushered her to come inside as they walked to the living room.

Mikaela slowly cried herself to sleep as Orion laid her down on the couch. He sighed, this only happened when she was stressing too much. Mikaela always held up a serious demeanour, but she just wants to look strong in front of others so that they were reassured their leader was a strong-willed person, instead of someone with many burdens. He should've looked for Asta instead of her; he knew that she could get too stressed from this. He knew that there was a possibility she would have a break down, but he still didn't stop her. He knew she would reach her limit, but what can he say? What did he do to deserve her, how did he get her love? Sometimes he just wonders that if she fell in love with another, would she be happier? One time he came to her with that thought, they talked about it and she reassured him that he was the man of her dreams, but he still can't stop and wonder.

Hours passed as Orion is busy in the kitchen, he knew what would cheer Mikaela up. A lemon meringue pie since it was her favourite. He was busy whisking up the eggs as he heard footsteps approaching, he didn't have the confidence to look at the person in the eyes. He already knew who it was, he just kept whisking until she spoke.

"Look at me."

Mikaela’s P.O.V.

I woke up with a massive headache, the only thing I remember was being carried by Orion, ORION! He's probably blaming himself right now, I swear he's too selfless. I need to find him, I don't want him to go back doing that again. I walked around for a bit until I remembered, he always in the kitchen making something to distract himself. The kitchen! That’s where he’s probably in. I rushed over, slowing down as I saw the kitchen lights illuminated. I heard him talking to himself, his voice cracking as he blames himself. I can't stand it when he does that; Why can't he see that he isn't to blame for me being too emotionally weak. I just can't handle seeing him, the hyperactive one of us two looking so fragile while beating himself down.

I stepped forward and walked through the door, I already saw his ears twitch and his posture stiffen. He still didn't say anything, I couldn't take the silence anymore and spoke up.

"Look at me."

He stopped what he was doing and turned around still looking at his feet. He didn't look up, but I could see he was trying to quickly put up a smile for me. I walked towards him as he slowly backed away, I stopped for a second and saw his tears dripping onto the floor. After a few seconds passed he looked up at me with his tear-streaked face, sporting one of his signature goofy smiles. I don't understand, he's the one that’s suffering the most, yet he never shows it. He was the one who did that, but never said anything to me. He was the one crying every night but told me it was alright. He is the one always smiling, but he is the one that bears many burdens.

Just knowing that I was oblivious to his pain and that I couldn't help him, I don’t know what to feel. I’m conflicted with emotions. Sadness, Frustration, Sorrow and Guilt, I feel it all and it is a storm raging within me. My instincts take over and I rush towards Orion, engulfing him into a hug as he broke down and sobbing on my shoulder.

Eventually his knees buckle, and we fall onto our knees. I hug him in my chest as he lets out his pain, his frustration. After what felt like hours, I heard his soft snores. I laid his head on my lap as I stroked his black hair.

“There is nothing greater than my love for you.”

I closed my eyes as I hum a lullaby for him, I felt a blanket covering my shoulders. I turned around and see Kayla, she really is a good friend. She left after that leaving us there to comfort each other on the carpeted floor, the weight of our choices now falling upon us.