So maybe Ace is dumb, he still is cute

I raced forward and hugged him.
"Whoa there, I wasn't gone long."
"Yeah, but you could've died."
I studied his face, it was covered in soot and he smelled like smoke.
"You got Runa." I said, studying Runa, who leaned against a tree, barely conscious.
"Yeah."
"And you're alive."
He studied his arms and legs "Mostly, yeah."
I hugged him again.
When I pulled away I turned towards Ciara and yelled "Do your magic." Ciara was 17 and studying to become a doctor, somehow she was extremely good at helping people who were hurt or dying.
I don't know what she did, but in a span of eight minutes, Runa could stand and was fully conscious.
Runa studied her arm, which had several burn marks on it she looked up and saw Ace laughing with Adney.
She ran to him and hugged him, making the two of them topple over.
"You saved my life." Runa said.
"You saved me from grieving over your death without even doing anything to even try and help."
"You didn't help because you didn't want to cope, you helped because you are a good person." I said.
"That's irrelevant." Ace said.
"Shut the hell up." I said.
We sat there in silence until Runa pointed something out.
"The fire is spreading."
"We should move." Ace coughed.
"Agreed." I said.
We began walking more to the center of the island, it didn't seem like the fire would ever stop spreading, and it was only noon.
"Look there." Grecia pointed.
People moved off in the distance.
"They're from our region." Ciara said.
"Yep." Grecia nodded."
"Is this when we die?" Ace asked.
"Yep." Grecia nodded again.
We kept going forward, I grasped Aces hand, if anything happened to him, something would have to happen to me.
The fire stopped spreading once it was just us and the people from region one left in the circle, which was rather large.
We stayed where we were, the other group of people moved towards us.
"I can not wait to die." Ace said, sounding a little to excited.
"You know how to use the sword, so use it." I told him.
I hugged him, probably the last time I would ever do that.
I remembered what he had told me, about starting testosterone a year ago, when he told his parents he was a boy, not a girl, I remember him telling me how his siblings died, and the relationship he had with them. I remember him telling me about his mother. I remembered him telling me things he said he doesn't want anyone else to know. He trusted me. He trusted that I could keep those secrets, he trusted that I could help him and protect him. He was the one person I trusted. We trusted each other. He listened when I spoke, I listened when he spoke, we helped each other when we needed it. I needed him, he was the person I wanted to be with. The person that understands because he had to live through it. A siblings death was different than a mother's death, but still insanely hard to get over. Ace was the person that I loved. Maybe it was that wild look in his eyes, or his personality, I wasn't sure, but I loved it. Now I stood here, in front of what could be our death.