Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Ryan

Hindi ko alam na posible pala iyon. Maraming tao ang lumalapit sa akin pero wala akong maintindihan sa mga sinasabi nila. They come and go. May mga sinasabi sila, tinatanong? Wala akong maisagot kundi simpleng tango lang. Umiiyak na dumating sa ospital si Nana Josie. She’s mad at me. Ilang ulit niya akong pinalo sa braso ko at dibdib pero hindi ko maramdaman ang sakit. Inawat siya ng asawa niya at pinaupo sa gilid. 

Wax came to me. But I didn’t hear him. Everyone’s in slow motion and muted. Lumalim ang paghinga ko. Inabutan ako ng damit ni Wax. Hinawakan ko lang iyon at tinitigan. What’s wrong with me? I felt like I was incapable. Like what I did to her. I was so fucking stupid not knowing she was just in the vicinity. Then now . . . she’s unconscious. Unconscious. This is the worst day of my life.

The people in front of me passes by. Some in white, some in vibrant colors. Some formal, some very informal. Some paid attention at me, some didn’t. But they didn’t know any clue what’s in my head. They didn’t know I am waiting for my lady to come out from the Emergency Room. They didn’t know how she’s breaking my heart by not opening her eyes and hearing her precious voice I am addicted to hear. 

Nang payagan na kaming makita siya, hindi ako agad na nakapasok dahil limitado lang ang pwedeng papasukin doon. Wax stopped me. We let her grandparents to see her first. So, I waited again. Pagkalabas nila ay agad akong pumasok sa loob. The nurse reminded me to wear my T-shirt. I did while walking inside. I saw her. Lying over the white sheets and still sleeping. Damn. I cursed and looked for her doctor. I asked, “Why she’s still unconscious?! You didn’t---fuck!” napahilamos ako ng mukha sa naging asal ko. 

Natahimik silang lahat at manghang nakatingin sa akin. Everyone in the Emergency Room glared at me like as if I disturbed their sacred and solitude place. Only Wax calmed and talked to them and pushed me to the side of her bed. He looked like a mediator. 

I crouched and studied her face. I caged my arms around her bed. They tended her wound on forehead. Seeing her again made my blood boiling. “Are they done for her medical test? Can I take her home?” ayokong magtagal pa siya sa lugar na ito. When only the green curtains separating her to other beds.