Chapter 23

Whilst listening to Fall Out Boy's new album From Under the Cork Tree, I hummed as I made my lunch without a care in the world. All I could think about was Patrick Stump's sweet vocals in Sugar We're Goin Down and the undying hunger in the pit of my stomach.

As Patrick sung his last, long note to finish the song, my new Nokia rung sharply through in the interlude before the next song of the album came on. Startled, I pressed the green symbol on the left hand side of the phone to answer the call, bringing the speaker of the phone to my ear.

'Hello?' I automatically greeted to the caller, not recognising both the voice or the number.

'Is this Aria Coleman?' the woman asked, her manner of speech professional but friendly.

I merely answered with a yes.

'I am calling to notify you on your place in Central City University's Forensic Science Course,' the woman explained.

'W-What?' I asked, shocked. I was surprised I got in from my just competent grades Merlyn had made sure I achieved, but I never expected this. Forensic science was the only field I enjoyed in criminology, as even though I enjoyed detective work, I could never remember what to ask the people involved in the cases. However, in forensics, I could use my scientific knowledge to work things out, without dealing too much with other people. Plus, in our little 'meetings', Merlyn had seen it best to put me through forensics too, due to science being my strengths. At least part of my job was going to be something I enjoyed.

'You have a place on the Forensic Science Course,' the woman repeated, oblivious to what my reaction really meant.

'Th-thank you,' I said, still staggered.

'You will start this September,' the woman carried on, no information actually going into my brain properly. 'The University will send you more details through the post, enclosed in a letter. If you have any questions after reading the letter, you can ring the number listed on the letter.'

'Okay,' I responded, trying to take it all in. My life was starting to get better, even though I hoped my life would change. Finally, I was starting to make more of my own decisions and live how I wanted.

As the woman hung up, Eddie entered the apartment, carrying groceries into the kitchen.

'Who was that?' He asked, interested.

'The University!' I said excidedly. They offeted me a place on the Forensics Course!'

For a split second before smiling to congratulate me, Eddie's face fell in sadness, as if what I had told him had triggered something in his mind.

'That's great,' he said happily, an undertone of misery shining through his false happiness.

'What's the matter?' I asked concerned, worried for him. What was he so upset about?

'Its... it's about my university place,' Eddie started slowly, trying not to sound down. 'You see, there are no places left on the Training Program for the Police Academy in Central City, so I'm being transferred to Keystone instead.'

'Why are you so upset though?' I asked, confused. 'Its amazing that you've got into Keystone!'

'Its because I'm going to have to move out in September,' Eddie stated, downcast. 'Away from you.'

My positivity suddenly sank as Eddie spoke, his bad news surely detrimental to our relationship. If I had remembered correctly from high school, girls in my year who had tried to carry long term relationships never seemed to succeed in the end, their hopeless attempt to call their boyfriends everyday resulting in failure.

'At least your not going to somewhere like, on the other side of the world!' I tried to reassure myself and Eddie aloud. 'Keystone isn't miles away!'

'Ill miss you, Aria,' Eddie said sadly. 'Its not like I can just leave Keystone that easily- my parents haven't seen me for ages, and they'll want me to be with them when I have free time from the Academy.'

'I could visit you!' I suggested, trying to be positive.

'But what about your course?' Eddie pointed out. 'I can't put our relationship before your chances at life!'

It wasn't seeming likely we were to see each other after September.

'Well then, let's make the time we've got the best months of our lives,' I said definitely, trying to hold back my tears.