Chapter 39

'So, how did you get Simon arrested?' I asked Tommy as we waited to get interviewed, many officers asking if I was alright after the shock of the night's events.

'Well, I recorded everything Simon said when I was held captive, and when you showed up, with that voice recorder over there,' Tommy said, pointing to a small device sealed in a transparent evidence bag on Detective Hilton's desk.

'So what about all the police officers on the roof?' I asked.

'After you helped me escape, I rang Detective Hilton up about it and he got loads of cops together,' Tommy said. 'I was still here when I escaped, I just hid until everyone came to take action. And we seemed to arrive at the roof in perfect timing.'

'If perfect means nearly dying, then yes,' I joked, nudging Tommy with my uninjured arm.

As the paramedics bandaged my wounds up, I winced in pain, the deep cuts still giving me immense pain every time I moved my arm.

'Are you alright?' Tommy asked, concerned.

'Yeah, I'm fine,' I grimaced. 'I'm just glad I only got wounded instead of being dead.'

Looking back at Tommy, it seemed as though he really cared about me. He had really started to become friends with me, and if I was going to complete Malcolm's wishes, I was one step closer to doing so.

'Aria Coleman?' Hilton's voice called.

'That's my cue,' I said, rolling my eyes to Tommy.

'Good luck,' he whispered, helping me up as I hobbled over to the interrogation room.

'First of all, I would like to apologise for everything I've put you through,' Hilton said before I could say anything to him. 'I really do owe it to you. We wrongly accused you, multiple times.'

'Hey, it's fine, you were only doing your job,' I said. 'And it really looked like I had committed all those crimes. I don't blame you.'

'Are you alright, Aria?' Hilton asked. Everyone seemed to be concerned for me lately.

'Yeah, I'm fine,' I answered. 'And now you have your real criminal!'

'I just, I can't believe that Simon Lloyd, of all people, would do such a thing!' Hilton exclaimed, obviously upset. 'He was a close colleague of mine.'

'He seemed nice when he was mentoring me, too,' I commented.

'Anyway, back to you, Aria,' Hilton said. 'You're free now. All your charges have been dropped. But, we are going to have to interview you about the whole incident.'

---

'Hello, my saviour,' I greeted Tommy sarcastically as I exited the interrogation room.

'Hey,' Tommy laughed. 'What did they ask you?'

'A lot,' I breathed, exhausted. 'About every single thing, from your kidnapping to what Simon said to me.'

Remembering that Tommy had also been in danger, I immediately grew empathetic for him.

'Are you alright now?' I asked him. 'After the whole kidnapping thing?'

'Yeah, I'm fine,' Tommy reassured. 'He didn't actually do anything to me, it was all to draw you in and frame you.'

'But, why me?' I asked, confused. 'Did he tell you why he wanted to kill me?'

'Well, he said he wanted to get revenge on my dad,' Tommy said, repeating what I had heard so many times. 'I don't know why though.'

I obviously knew more than Tommy, but I didn't think telling him any more would help things. Tommy didn't even know Malcolm was an assassin.

'Well, your dad's gonna make some enemies in the world of business,' I commented. 'It was bound to happen someday.'

'Aria! Tommy!' I suddenly heard over the rabble of the SCPD. Laurel was rushing towards us with Oliver, looks of worry and concern on their faces. 'Are you okay?'

'Yeah, we're fine,' Tommy said as Laurel hugged me.

'We were so worried,' Oliver said. 'Laurel's dad called.'

'Well, thanks for your concern,' I said gratefully. 'But honestly, were fine. It's Simon who won't be fine for the rest of his life when he gets locked up in Iron Heights.'

'Simon Lloyd?' Laurel asked suddenly. 'The Forensic Scientist who went missing?'

'Yeah, him,' Tommy nodded. 'He was the one who abducted me and nearly murdered Aria.'

'Oh honey,' Laurel sympathised before giving me another hug.

---

'Thank you, Malcolm,' I said as I entered the house, him waiting at the door. 'For helping to save my life.'

'Where's Tommy?' Malcolm asked, looking to and fro.

'He's not here,' I laughed. 'But he will be soon.'

'Good,' Malcolm sighed. 'Does he know about me being an... assassin?'

'No,' I said. 'I persuaded him to think Simon was after you for revenge in business.'

'That's brilliant,' Malcolm smiled.

Pacing, Malcolm was deep in thought, as though something was bothering him.

'What's the matter, Malcolm?' I asked, worried. Malcolm never showed this side of himself, vulnerable and worried.

'Its just,' Malcolm started. 'I didn't realise how early Tommy would need to be protected. I need to train you as soon as possible to avoid things like this happening again.'

'So it isn't just about the paparazzi and Oliver's influence,' I realised.

'No,' Malcolm shook him head. 'Well, there's that too, but it's the League, and the enemies I've made along the way to be the man I am today. I used to be much worse than I am now, Aria.'

'No kidding,' I commented after what Simon had told me. 'So, what do you want me to do?'

'I want you to protect Tommy,' Malcolm said. 'And become the Al-Mawla of this city.'