Chapter 13

'Are you sure this'll work?' Anna doubted, her voice straining with worry. I didn't blame her; I was having second thoughts about the case too. Merlyn had even said to let the case go. It felt like there was no light at the end of the tunnel. The case was impossible to write up with believable evidence, let alone to solve it.

'Yes. I'm certain of it,' Blake said firmly. I felt almost bad for doubting Blake's idea, but I still felt one hundred times worse about mentioning him to Merlyn. I was constantly worried that Blake may not turn up to a lecture the next day, or that I had involved him in horrible situations that he had no choice but to agree with. I didn't want Merlyn to recruit another lost soul to his dangerous world.

Deciding to side with Blake, I defeated the doubtful voice inside my head and gave into my fantasies. After all, I was the one who had fuelled the investigation and backed Blake from the start.

'I think we should interview Barry,' I suggested. I wasn't going to let Merlyn ruin this for Blake. Or me, either. Blake wasn't the only one intrigued with the case.

'You might upset the kid,' Matthew chipped in. It had been a while since he had contributed to the discussion. I hadn't heard him say anything all day.

'I think we'll give him hope,' I pointed out. 'Yes, he may be a little upset at first, but he'll realise our intentions. After all, all he wants is someone to believe him.'

Matthew nodded as he realised what I wanted to do

'You're right,' he agreed. 'I'll come with you if you like - you can ask the questions and I'll note down what he says.'

Relief washed over me as Matthew volunteered before Blake could. Merlyn wouldn't suspect Matthew for sure.

'Can I come as well?' Blake asked. Just what I needed.

'We could scare Barry if lots of us come at once,' I said quickly, trying to think of a believable excuse. 'Anyway, you and Anna are good at research. You could find out vital information we might need to talk to Barry.'

Blake understood and immediately started, laptop at the ready. I sighed with relief again as I knew Blake would remain safe.

'What do you want us to research?' Anna asked enthusiastically.

'Anything, from who Barry is to an in-depth analysis of his involvement in the case,' I instructed. To be honest I had no idea what to research; that's why I needed my team. And I was leading them. I was usually the assistant, the wingman. But in my new life I was in charge.

As Anna vigorously started scribbling ideas down on paper and Blake typing them into the internet, I tried to wrack my brains about taking the case further to make it seem believable. And what to say to Barry. I was nervous for sure; I could feel my mind whizzing with questions in great need of answering. I was relying on my newly formed classmates and a fourteen year old boy to secure the marks I needed to pass. The threat Merlyn had made at the start of this course constantly toyed with my fears at the back of my mind, my instinctive side not wanting to meet death. And if this case failed, my grade could be lower, consequently making me fail the course, and then, I'd probably end up with an arrow in my chest.

Let's just say I found it hard to give other people such responsibility.

'I've found Barry's address,' Blake announced, almost sounding stalker-ish.

Looking up from deep thought, I traveled towards Blake and his laptop.

'When shall we start?'