Chapter 34

Leaving the house and making my way to work, I jammed my headphones in with the Panic! At The Disco song 'I Write Sins Not Tragedies' pounding through my ears, the announcement of Brent Wilson leaving the band had made me constantly listen to their album in the reprise of his departure. Feeling my phone vibrate in my coat pocket, I answered the call.

'Hi, Aria,' the voice of the SCPD receptionist, Janette, sounded.

'Hi Janette,' I greeted her informally, although I probably would have been more professional if it had been someone I didn't recognise.

'There are a bunch of students in reception,' Janette started. 'And they're here for a Forensic Science field trip with Simon.'

'Oh, cool, so am I helping him out?' I asked happily.

'There's a... problem with that,' Janette said slowly. 'That's why I called. Simon's... not here. No one's heard from him all weekend. I think he might be sick or something.'

'So does that mean,' I said, a dreaded thought coming clear. 'I have to lead the trip?'

'I'm afraid so,' Janette said.

---

Fighting the group of students blocking the doorway of the front of the SCPD, I stood in front of the group and tried to consolidate their attention towards me.

'Thank you,' I said loudly, trying to make myself heard and think of something to say on the spot. 'Thank you for coming here today to watch... Forensic Science in action. I'm sob sorry my colleague can't make it today, but I think we'll mange without him.'

Leading the students upstairs, I glanced from one to another. And then I saw him.

Barry Allen.

Staggered, I nearly shouted in shock, amazed at who was there in front of me. I'd never gotten chance to speak to Barry about his mother's case, but now I was standing feet away from him. He didn't even know that I had tried to help his father get out of prison for a crime he didn't.

'So, what would you like to see me demonstrate?' I asked the group, trying to think of ideas.

'Can we see DNA profiling?' Barry asked, clearly enthusiastic about the subject.

'Yeah, sure,' I smiled. 'I already have a DNA sample I've analysed, so I'll use it to demonstrate.'

Taking the blood sample from my newest case, I carried the profiling procedure out, the probe molecules from the fragments of DNA present in the sample appearing as dark bands on the film I had ready on my worktop.

'And here's the print of the DNA,' I said, holding the film up in front of the group. 'I'm sure you've all seen this before, right?'

The students nodded.

'And, if we had another profile from the scene, we would be able to compare the prints,' I explained, the students again nodding in agreement. 'Any other questions?'

To be honest, I hoped that they wouldn't ask for a complicated demonstration, too tired and inexperienced to be able to carry out such a task. But, I had been surprised at how basic a demonstration Barry had wanted. He was clearly keen about the subject, but they hadn't asked for an especially adventurous or challenging task to work out or watch. But then again, they were only 18 year-old High School Students.

'If you found some other evidence to a case years later, would you be able to reopen the case easily?' Barry asked again. Of course. He was trying to find out if he could reopen his father's case.

'I think that's a question for the detectives downstairs,' I smiled empathetically, feeling bad for him. He may have only taken an interest in the subject just to clear his father's name and find the real murderer, but something told me that if he did, Barry would get in the same trouble I did.

---

As the rest of the group left the lab after countless other questions and querien, I stopped Barry to talk to him.

'Hey, you're Barry Allen, right?' I asked, trying to start the conversation off without sounding too suspicious.

'Yeah...' Barry said slowly, clearly confused why I had taken him to one side. 'Why?'

'Well, I know why you were asking all those questions,' I admitted. 'To reopen your father's case. I know what happened to your mother when you were 11 years old.'

'How do you know who I am?' Barry overreacted, stepping away from me in uncertainty.

'I tried to reopen the case!' I raised my voice, trying to get Barry to come back before he left the lab.

'What?' Barry exclaimed, returning back in the room. 'Did you find anything?'

'Yes,' I answered hastily. 'But it's much more complicated than you think. I tried, trust me, but the people involved nearly tried to ki- put me in danger. And my friends were put in danger, too. Just- be careful Barry. But, just remember, I believe that your father didn't do it, and I will try to catch the criminal, someday.'

'Th-ankyou,' Barry said, amazed and taken aback. 'Are your friends alright?'

'Let's just say I they didn't turn out to be the nicest people, either,' I said sadly. 'But yes, they're fine, they're safe.'

'I don't know how to thank you,' Barry said. 'Er,'

'Aria,' I finished his sentence, shaking his hand. 'Coleman. And if I do get a lead on who killed your mother, I'll tell you straight away.'