Chapter 7

The weather starting to become cold and ready for winter, I wrapped myself up in a warm duffle coat, scarf and jumper in order to keep my body heat in and the cold out. Our group had now started to learn about more research-based skills, which was what I had been really looking forward to during half term a week earlier. Isaac and I were working with two other students in our assignment, and I could wait to get back to it.

The limited morning light lit up the old, beautiful buildings, their stone walls standing out against the cloudy skies. As I passed a tree adorned with copper and bronze leaves, I felt as if someone was watching me. Following me. Looking back and shaking the crazy idea out of my head, I continued down the path.

As I looked up at the nearest building, I saw a hooded figure standing on the roof, their body covered in dark shadows although it was daytime. Thinking I was seeing things, I looked back to the roof to see there was no one there. Shaking my head, I continued to the astrophysics room, feeling extra cautious.

Entering the classroom, I smiled as I realised what the teacher had on his desk. Marked assignments.

'I trust you already know what these are,' the teacher, Dr Street, started. 'You all did very well on your previous assignment, well, all year so far.' His gaze suddenly turned to mine, making me start to anticipate bad news.

As Dr Street handed out the assignments, their recipients seemed to be extremely happy with their results. And then my assignment came. Well actually, it didn't.

'I'm sorry Aria,' Dr Street said gravely. 'I don't seem to have any of your coursework. I suggest you look out for it and find it soon.'

I was dumbfounded. I had put so much time and effort into my work, and now, all for nothing.

'But, I put so much into it,' I said sadly. 'I-'

'I know, Aria,' he said. 'I won't stop trying to find it either.'

I started to get annoyed at Dr Street. He had been in the possession of my coursework when it disappeared, and now because he had lost it, I could fail part of my degree. Yes, he was a brilliant teacher, but if my end result was a fail, I would never become my dream.

'How did you do?' Isaac asked enthusiastically, his face plastered with clear happiness.

'He's lost my assignment,' I said, disheartened, gesturing towards Dr Street.

'You should complain!' Isaac exclaimed, aghast. 'How can someone lose all your coursework like that? I know how determined and driven you are, you're the last person to deserve-'

A loud squeaking noise interrupted him, making everyone turning their heads in shock, and the room was cast in darkness, the window daylight strangely being blocked out. The darkness consumed so much of the light that I couldn't see anyone or anything, just blackness.

Trying to find my bearings, I felt my hands rummage through papers and items on the desk in front of me. But I didn't get that far. Suddenly, my body was yanked off the chair I sat on, my mouth covered and arms locked so that I wouldn't scream for help or flail about and alert someone. I had a strange sensation of déjà vu, like I recognised the one who held me. Their scent made my sense of insecurity and fear much higher than I had ever felt, even for something like this. It was if I expected something inevitable to happen.

Deducing my findings, I realised who it was. The man from Starling. Trying to scream and fight back, he was one step ahead of me, remembering my next move from my first abduction. I really hated that. To feel truly powerless.

A second after, I felt a rope being tied around my waist. I ended up being pushed out of the window, and being on the top floor, I was utterly terrified. Although it was daytime, I felt as if I was covered in shadows, hidden away from public view. What did he want with me that was so important as to risk my life? Maybe he just wanted me to hurtle to the ground and die, but I wouldn't be secured in rope if that was the case.

As the man jumped down from the window, I caught a glimpse of his appearance. He was clad in black, including a jacket, trousers, shirt and boots. His face was hard to see, his mouth behind a black cloth of some sort, and a black hood covered his head. He also held a black bow and carried a black quiver on his back full of arrows. He reminded me of an assassin. With an obsession for archery. And that made me think of death. My death.

As I tried to suss the assassin out, I realised that if I took his bow and arrows away from him, he would be at a disadvantage. Loving archery as a child, my parents had given me a toy archery kit one Christmas. But unfortunately I had found archery wasn't my strong suit. And I hadn't picked any sort of bow up for seven years.

Deciding I needed to make him weaker, I ran at the assassin, even though my mind was trying to turn back as well as calculate my best chance of succeeding.

Extending my arm toward the bow, the assassin stopped me with his intimidating grip on my arm, preventing me from making a next move. Fighting back, I attempted a punch to only make him laugh.

'You definitely are a fighter!' he said patronising, the same words he had said in the factory. And then I felt my legs grow weak and my body fall to the floor, my mind blank.