Chapter 41

'Hi, I'm your new colle-Aria!' I heard a voice as I entered the lab. It was Helena. 'I didn't recognise you for a second!'

'Me neither!' I exclaimed, waving to my new colleague. 'I was so wrapped up in meeting the band last weekend that I didn't realise you were the Helena I was going to be working with either!'

'Well, I'm here now!' Helena laughed. I still couldn't get over how different she was from meeting her to now, not being nervous to speak to me at all. If anyone was nervous, it was me.

'So, how come you've decided to work here instead of with Fall Out Boy?' I asked, intrigued. She had really sounded like she wanted to work with her boyfriend, but maybe she had had a change of heart along the way.

'I needed a career change,' Helena explained. 'And, being a backing guitarist isn't like the real deal. I don't know, I did like working with them, but I felt like I could make more of my... academic side.'

I nodded, trying to understand her. I still didn't get why she wanted to change career, but her reason was valid.

'So, what do we need to do?' She asked me, looking around the lab.

'Oh, I'll show you around,' I announced.

---

'Hey Laurel!' I exclaimed as she entered the SCPD when Helena and I went downstairs for a coffee break.

'Hey,' she smiled back. 'Who's this?' She asked, indicating to Helena.

'Oh, this is Helena Cadent, the new Forensic Scientist,' I introduced her to Helena.

Smiling shyly, Helena shook Laurel's hand. She must have been nervous meeting new people, I concluded, her actions the same as when she had met me.

'Hey, I'm Laurel Lance,' Laurel smiled.

'So how come you're here?' I asked Laurel, wondering. I had hardly seen her during work times, only usually meeting up at Oliver's house or at the weekend.

'Oh, it's Ollie,' Laurel said, rolling her eyes. 'He's got himself into trouble. Again.'

'What happened?' I asked. 'He hasn't assaulted another person, has he?'

'Not exactly,' Laurel started. 'But he did steal a taxi and nearly drive over a police officer.'

There was a hint of a tired frustration in Laurel's voice, as though she was used to Oliver's shenanigans and had gotten tired of telling him to stop him making mistakes. I didn't blame her being annoyed at him, but I felt sorry for her having to put up with him.

'Hey, it'll be fine,' I reassured Laurel with a smile, my hand on her shoulder. 'He'll soon learn not to do things like this.'

As Laurel joined Oliver to sort out another of his offences, Helena and I completed our journey to the coffee machine.

'I'm glad that Patrick isn't like that!' Helena exclaimed.

'Oliver's actually alright once you get to know him,' I said. 'But I do see your point, Patrick is way better behaved than Oliver!'

---

'How was your day?' Tommy asked as we met at Oliver's house.

'Alright,' I said. 'And Helena's working with me!'

'I didn't think she was serious!' Tommy exclaimed. 'She absolutely loved being in Fall Out Boy!'

'Well, something must have happened,' I assumed. 'She says she wanted to go more academic, but I don't know if that's really the case.'

'Was Oliver alright?' Tommy asked suddenly, obviously concerned for his friend.

'Yeah,' I laughed. 'I'm surprised you avoided that whole incident, with the taxi stealing and everything!'

'Well, I was... out,' Tommy said.

'Right, I really believe that,' I said sarcastically, raising my eyebrows. 'What actually happened?'

'I just, I needed to do a favour,' Tommy said shiftily. 'For a friend.'

I could tell Tommy was lying. Whatever he had been doing, it was very secretive, and instead of making me forget about it, it made me more and more intrigued and curious.

'Shall we do something while we're waiting for them to arrive?' Tommy asked as we sat down, waiting for Oliver and Laurel.

'Like what?' I asked Tommy.

What I really wanted to do was tell Tommy that I loved him, that I wanted to spend every moment with him, but I just couldn't. I couldn't take that chance.

Sitting down on the beanbags of Oliver's games room, Tommy turned the Xbox on, Halo 2 appearing on the screen.

'You know I'm rubbish at this,' I commented, rolling my eyes.

'I know,' Tommy said. 'That's why I choose it.'

Squinting my eyes and scrunching my nose up as I shook my head to taunt Tommy, he threw a console at me and began the game.

'You could have least warned me!' I exclaimed as I tried to navigate my character, Tommy watching his gameplay on screen.

After miserably failing against Tommy on the multiplayer mode, I threw the console down in frustration.

'Im just not good at shooting games, Tommy,' I muttered, leaning my head over the sides of the beanbag in a mix of tiredness and defeat.

'No, you just can't accept defeat,' he laughed in triumph.

Once again, I got drawn into Tommy's eyes, mine probably dilating just from looking at him. I couldn't deny my love for him, but I just didn't know how to go around telling him. But I had to. I just had to.

'Tommy, I've been meaning to tell you something,' I started nervously. 'For a while now, actually. I know it sounds crazy, but Tommy, I-'

'Hey,' Oliver's voice came from the doorway, interrupting me.

In embarrassment, Tommy and I drew back from another. Feeling my cheeks burn up, I tried to look away from them, Laurel joining the group making it harder to mask my feelings.

'Are you alright, Aria?' Laurel asked, approaching me.

'Yeah, I, I'm fine,' I breathed, as though I had run out of breath after running. Well one thing was for sure; my emotions were running away with me, making me nearly make rash decisions like telling Tommy I loved him. No, I couldn't risk it. I was just glad I had been interrupted.

'I'm just going to go to the bathroom,' I mumbled quickly, rushing out of both the room and my mistakes.