Chapter 42

'Are you... okay?' Malcolm asked in practise as I used the small punchbag in the corner of the room to cool down, my inward frustration of not expressing my love for Tommy building up a new sense of anger inside me.

Ignoring Malcolm, I carried on to batter the punchbag.

'You're not usually like this, Aria,' Malcolm continued.

'Well,' I breathed in between punches. 'That's. Because. It's. All. Been. Building. Up. Inside.'

'You know Aria, you can tell me anything,' Malcolm reassured me, talking in a soft, calming voice.

'Yeah?' I turned his way. 'It would be pretty awkward if I told you.'

After all, Malcolm was Tommy's father. I just cringed at the thought of telling him my feelings for Tommy.

'Try me,' He stated.

I couldn't just back down now.

'I... like this guy,' I started, trying to sound cryptic so that Malcolm didn't realise who I was talking about and so I felt less awkward about it all. 'And because of... Eddie, I'm worried the same thing is going to happen that happened with him.'

'Don't worry, Aria,' Malcolm said calmly, almost like a father. 'Tommy isn't like that.'

'Tommy?' I asked, pretending to be surprised. 'I didn't say it was Tommy!'

'Aria, it's obvious he likes you,' Malcolm concluded. 'I know I may not be that close to Tommy as a father, but I do know he likes you.'

So Malcolm was now the love guru? How was supposed to know anyway?

'But, you told me to protect him,' I said, puzzled.

'Love is a powerful emotion,' Malcolm started. 'And creates strong bonds that are unbreakable. I don't mind you being with Tommy if you love him this much. Your training will get hindered if a power this strong is taking over your thoughts and actions.'

'You really think so?' I asked happily.

'Yes,' Malcolm nodded. 'And if you do anything to hurt him, you'll have to face me.'

Gulping in slight fear but relief, I realised I had been stupid to mask my feelings. After all, a bond as strong as love would bring Tommy and I closer together, and in turn would protect him.

I just felt like it was all going too fast.

---

Skipping happily into work, I was met with a much sadder Helena.

'What's... the matter?' I asked, concerned, stopping in my tracks before I could sound too happy for myself. 'Are you alright?'

'It's Patrick,' Helena nearly cried, dried tears on her cheeks. 'The band are going on tour, so I won't be able to see him for months.'

'Hey, it's alright,' I said, trying to calm her down. 'You'll be able to see him when they stop touring! And when they play in the arena here in the city!'

'I guess you've right,' Helena said sadly. 'I shouldn't have taken this job instead of going on tour with them!'

Sensing her unwavering upset, I put my hand on her shoulder to reassure her. I knew telling her to chase the band would make things worse since she was being so vague about why she left the band, and so all I could do was be there for her.

As Helena started to panic, I faced her and gave her my full eye contact.

'Just, listen to my voice,' I said clearly. 'Take a deep breath and breathe.'

As she took quick breaths, I put my other hand on her other shoulder.

'Slowly,' I said. 'One breath at a time. Just close your eyes, and think about the happy times you and Patrick have shared together.'

Soon, Helena had calmed down, a smile starting to appear on her face.

'See, you can do it!' I said happily.

'Thank you, Aria,' Helena smiled, hugging me in thanks. 'I don't know what I'd have done without you here to help calm me down.'

'No problem,' I smiled. 'I'll always be here. I'm your friend, and that's what friends are for.'

'So, what are you so happy about?' Helena asked, sensing my mood.

'I think, I love-' I exclaimed.

'Tommy,' Helena finished my sentence, smiling to herself.

'How did you-?' I asked, astounded. Everyone seemed to know that I loved him.

'It was obvious when I first met you!' Helena pointed out. 'The way you talk to him, look at him, act around him. And it's obvious he likes you too, with the whole...'

She stopped suddenly, as if she had said something wrong.

'The whole what?' I asked curiously. 'And you're serious? He likes me? Like, more than a friend?'

'Oh, it's nothing,' Helena quickly dismissed. It was very mysterious.

Very mysterious indeed.

'And, yes, he does like you more than friend,' Helena nodded. 'Well, he loves you, actually.'

Blushing, a wide, cheesy grin grew on my face. At once, Helena laughed at my reaction, making me cover my mouth in stupid embarrassment.

'Hey!' I exclaimed at Helena, giving her a fake evil stare and slightly shaking my head. 'I bet you were like this when you first dated Patrick!'

'Worse, actually,' Helena laughed in confession. 'I was still at high school!'

Giving her a hug again before she could tear up about Patrick leaving, we were interrupted by Detective Hilton at the door.

'Er, Aria, I need to speak to you for a minute,' he said, only his head visible.

'Okay!' I shouted to him, at once to my feet.

Smiling back to Helena, I gave her a 'see-you-in-a-minute' look and she smiled back with understanding.

'What is it?' I asked, joining Hilton outside the lab.

'Since now you're the head of the forensics department, now that Simon...' Hilton started, not finishing his sentence off but giving the same effect. 'We need you to come on the crime scene with us, like Simon did when you were analysing stuff back in the lab. It's been so much harder to figure things out without you there to find evidence, and now, I think you're ready to come with us.'

My eyes progressively widening throughout Hilton's proposal, I immediately nodded.

'That's absolutely fine Mr Hilton,' I shook hands with Hilton in agreement.

'Call me Lucas,' he smiled. 'Partners?'

'Partners.'