Chapter 25

Nervously walking towards the door of the DIY store, I pushed the door open, the jingle of the bell above the door telling Eddie I was here.

'Aria!' Eddie exclaimed at my presence, seemingly pleased to see me.

'Eddie,' I unemotionally greeted him, as though he was a mere acquaintance.

'I'm so glad to see you!' Eddie exclaimed again, attempting to hug me. I returned his hug, but without any endearment. I sure felt bad, but I just couldn't forgive him yet.

Seeing my reactions, Eddie realised how hurt I felt, and his face dropped.

'I'm sorry, Aria,' Eddie apologised whole-heartedly. 'I was totally out of line, and I wish I could go back in time and fix what I did. I was stupid, and all I felt I could do was focus on my work instead of... You.'

'You're right,' I retaliated, still feeling hurt, trying not to cry. 'I tried and tried with you. Trusted you. But all you could do was repay me the way you did? I could never forgive you, Thawne. And I don't think I ever will.'

Instead of Eddie breaking down like I expected him to do, like he would have a year ago, he stayed strong.

'I know what I did was wrong, but please, just give me a chance,' Eddie asked instead of pleading. 'I was horrible to you, and believe me, I felt like killing myself in anger at what I did. I get it if you don't want to be with me, but please, just give me a chance. I can fix my wrongs.'

Tears forming in my eyes, I smiled and wiped them away. I couldn't not forgive him now. He sounded so sorry, his heartfelt apology making me rethink my whole opinion of him. He was different to how I left him, his realisation of what he did making him a changed person. And I valued this greatly.

Breaking down, I couldn't hold back my feelings I had tried to bury throughout the past year, his confessions too genuine to turn away. He meant what he said, his sorrow gleaming in his deep blue eyes, acting as a window to his soul. I couldn't be cold-hearted, not after what he said.

'Eddie,' I said quietly. 'I love you. And don't worry about the past. I don't care what happened. I was in the wrong too, I couldn't rely on you all the ti-'

Hugging me at once, Eddie embraced me with a kiss, and I forgave him at once.

---

'So, what have you been doing in Keystone?' I asked, making a long overdue conversation back in my apartment.

'Work, mainly,' Eddie said as he sat on the couch. It seemed like old times again, Eddie sitting in his normal spot like he did a year ago. 'I was training to be a police officer, actually.'

I remembered when Eddie had told me this dream, and it seemed he had pursued it.

'I carried on training for forensics,' I said, smiling. 'My 'dream'.' I carried on sarcastically.

'You don't want to do forensics, do you?' Eddie said perceptively. 'You could drop it if you want to.'

'No, it's fine,' I reassured. 'I do enjoy it, really. It's just... Not my dream.'

'Then what is your dream?' Eddie asked. If I answered him truthfully, I could be putting him at risk. Merlyn could find out I told him my 'dream', and that I didn't want to be in Central City. But I hadn't told anyone yet. I didn't know what Merlyn would do, but I needed to tell someone.

'I used to want to be an Astrophysicist,' I explained. 'In England.'

'With your parents,' Eddie commented. 'That's why we could never visit them.'

At least Eddie thought that was why we couldn't visit my family, and not the truth behind it all. Merlyn didn't have to get involved after all.

Speaking of Merlyn, it dawned on me that I hadn't spoken to him for ages. What was he doing that had kept him preoccupied from checking I had actually passed my course, and that I hadn't told anyone about him, I did not know. For all he knew, I could have just told Eddie the truth.

But I didn't. I had gotten too used to telling lies and using deception to realise that.

---

As the sun rose, I yawned and opened my eyes, my mind finally at rest. I was content with life, more in control of my future and with Eddie once again, my Anna, Blake and Matthew there for me too.

And just when I thought I had all those things, I lost them again in an instant.