Chapter 24

Kissing Eddie farewell one last time, I weakly waved him goodbye as he set off to Keystone. I wished I could join him in his journey, but my course inconveniently started that day. I wanted to be with Eddie, but I had to put my future before him.

It just wasn't fair.

As Eddie's car disappeared round the corner of the street, I broke down in tears, my emotions getting the better of me. Without my family to support me, Eddie had been the only one who could provide me with that love I needed. Despite what Anna had said about Eddie's neediness, I had proven to be the one that was more needy.

---

As September passed and October came, I learnt a great deal only in a month. I found the course so interesting and enjoyable, Anna by my side. One thing I knew was that no matter what, she had supported and been there for me, as I had when she split up with her boyfriend in the previous August.

However, it was the day that Harper, my friend from Manchester, had been murdered by Merlyn. In front of me. Once you see something like that, it never goes away, and the date reminded me about it all too much.

'Soon we're gonna be learning about DNA fingerprinting!' Anna exclaimed, enthused by the topic at lunchtime on campus. Glancing at my forlorn expression, she adjusted her tone and sat next to me reassuringly. 'Is everything alright?'

'I, just,' I said sadly, trying not to cry. Being with Anna had also reminded me of my friendship with Harper, but also how I had seen Merlyn... kill her like that.

'Don't worry, Aria, I'm here for you,' Anna reassured me further with open arms. I met her gesture, her caring and kindness helping me through my mourning. 'Do you want to talk about it?'

I took a while to think, worrying about what I could and couldn't say. To protect Anna.

'A friend, my friend, died three years ago today,' I tried to open up. 'Your happiness just reminded me of how happy she used to be, and I guess I just got a little... emotional.'

'Aww, it's okay,' Anna smiled. 'She sounds like a real nice person. I'm glad you got to met someone like her.'

'Me too,' I said, happier. 'And thank you. I'm glad I have a friend like you, too.'

---

What seemed like days turned into months, and soon enough, it was my graduation day. I wrote to Eddie frequently through the year, but I found out he had to stay in Keystone for his job, as he could only get work in his hometown. I got that he wanted to be with his family; I would have given anything to be with mine, but the times I had visited him, he had seemed off and different with me. The situation had gotten so difficult, in fact, that we had had to call our relationship off for the time being. And Eddie hadn't talked to me ever since.

He was being so distant even though he only lived in the next city that I just gave up, and then I got so upset and angry I put all that emotion into my work. So much that I became a workaholic, constantly doing extra work to take the pain away and focus on something else.

As Anna and I nervously waited in our seats for our names to be called out, the ceremony started, the speaker inconveniently the most boring and slowest person to speak, every word lasting for what felt like a lifetime.

'Wake me up if I fall asleep,' I whispered to Anna, making her giggle silently.

'I think I'll just leave you to fall asleep in front of everyone,' Anna commented sarcastically, grinning subtly as she spoke.

The speaker soon interrupted our conversation, calling out my name.

'Aria Coleman,' he announced monotonously, beckoning me with his words. Going red with embarrassment, I stood up and travelled to the podium, accepting my diploma and trying not to look at the crowd of proud parents and relatives watching the ceremony. Plus, mine obviously weren't there, so I had no reason to look.

---

After the ceremony, Anna and I were waylaid amongst the excitement of the days previous proceedings, eager to get out and join the rest of our friends in celebration of the end of our courses. Since Blake and Matthew had also finished their computer courses, we had a perfect reason to celebrate.

'Well done, everybody!' Anna congratulated everybody, hugging us all in turn as we entered Matthew's apartment.

'I can't believe we all passed!' I added surprised.

'That's what I thought when I got my results back,' Matthew commented. 'And I can't believe that I stayed friends with you all!'

'We all know you love us really,' I joked, smiling at Matthew.

Rolling his eyes and shaking his head, Matthew smiled back and took a beer out of his fridge, passing me one too.

As we sat on the same old, small couch in Matthew's apartment we had on my 20th birthday, we sighed in unison at the relief of finishing our courses, relaxed and oddly quiet.

Oh, Aria, I need to... Er... Tell you something,' Anna remembered, whispering quietly under the sound of the TV turning on.

'Okay, what is it?' I asked her.

Standing up, Anna led me into the kitchen, beckoning me subtly. The boys were so engrossed in whatever they were watching they didn't notice us leave.

'Its about Eddie,' Anna started. 'I saw him going into the DIY store earlier on in the week. He looked upset.'

'What, in Central City?' I asked, surprised. 'Did you talk to him?'

Knowing Anna she probably would have, her talkative trait frequently getting the better of her.

'Yeah, I did,' Anna said slowly. 'He was asking for... You.'

'Eddie wanted to talk to me? After all this time?' I blurted aloud, annoyed. He hadn't exactly tried to amend his wrongs for a year, and unfortunately for him I wasn't open to getting back together.

'Do you want to see him?' Anna asked gently, understanding my view over Eddie's.

'I don't think I could see him after how he ignored me,' I said definitely.

'I don't blame you,' Anna reflected. 'But I think you would feel better if you saw him. To make amends.' She added.

'But what if I make it worse?' I asked nervously.

'Aria,' Anna said. 'I know you won't. You're the most thoughtful, kindest person I know, and one thing's for sure, if someone messes it up, it'd be Eddie.'

'Okay,' I responded after a while. 'Thankyou, Anna, for being there for me.'

'Don't worry about it. I'll always be here for you.'