Chapter 37

'So, Miss Coleman,' Hilton started, pacing around the interrogation room I found myself in once again. 'You were last seen with both Simon Lloyd and Tommy Merlyn.'

Taking a seat, he sat opposite me and looked unto my eyes intensely.

'What a coincidence.'

'I'm telling the truth!' I protested.

'Does that not seem... suspicious to you?' Hilton supposed, squinting his eyes at me.

'Yes,' I muttered. 'That's why I think I'm being framed!'

'All the evidence points to you, Miss Coleman,' the Detective said quietly. 'And no one else.'

'But, honestly, I didn't do it!' I cried. 'I was only saying goodbye to Tommy on my way to work yesterday morning. Don't you think a space of a day is a little short to conclude that Tommy's been taken hostage?'

'But the fact is, Miss Coleman,' Hilton said. 'He's missing.'

Taking a small tape recorder from his pocket, Hilton pressed the play button. It was Tommy, pleading for his life. To me. His helplessness and upset in his voice made me feel empathy for him, whoever was being 'me' making my blood curdle, their voice like mine.

Exactly like mine.

'Miss Coleman, your under arrest for assaulting and kidnapping Tommy Merlyn,' Detective Hilton announced as two police officers took me away. 'You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.'

Whoever had planned this had succeeded. And I couldn't escape my charges now.

---

Sat in the cold SCPD holding cell, I tried to think of a way to get myself out of this mess. Malcolm had money, and lots of it; he could easily bail me out. But was he suspicious himself? He wasn't exactly going to be friendly with me if he thought I had kidnapped, assaulted and possibly murdered his own son.

Hearing the door to the cells open, I saw Malcolm enter the room. Running towards the bars of the cell at once, I faced Malcolm, his face pale and tired from stress and worry.

'I came as quickly as I could,' Malcolm breathed. 'I know it's not you, Aria. I can bail you out. Whoever's framing you are not going to succeed.'

'Thankyou so much!' I sighed in relief. 'And honestly, I didn't do it.'

'I know,' Malcolm reassured me. 'But I still don't know whether you'll be offered bail. The crimes they've arrested you with aren't taken lightly in the Court of Justice.'

---

As darkness grew in the building of the SCPD, the muffled babble of conversation and movement gradually grew quieter and quieter, until I was alone. I felt scared, alone and cold, and I just wanted to be with Malcolm and Tommy, carefree and able to do what I wanted.

Reminiscing in the dark, I thought of my family and friends I had left behind, and how I wished I could still talk to them all. I hadn't seen my family in almost four years, and how I wished that I could see then once more.

Suddenly, I heard a scuffling at the door, as if someone was trying to get in. Looking towards the door immediately, I saw a darkened, shadowy figure opening the previously locked door.

'Aria,' the person hissed, taking more steps towards my cell.

It was Simon.

'Simon!' I exclaimed rather hushed, trying to not alerting alarms. 'What happened to you? Are you alright? How did you escape? I was so worried-'